Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 25 October 2022 10:35 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 25 October 2022 10:36 am

Sinking fast: Jeremy Hunt to ditch Boris Johnson’s £250m Brexit Britain ship

By: Michiel Willems

Add as a preferred source on Google
Boris Johnson’s ambition was reportedly for the ship to “promote the best of Brexit Britain”. The vessel was supposed to host receptions, diplomatic meetings and act as a showcase during trade fairs abroad.

A £250m national flagship proposed by former prime minister Boris Johnson while in office will be cancelled by the new chancellor, Jeremy Hunt, according to various news reports.

In an upcoming round of deep spending cuts, most likely to be announced next week, Hunt reportedly plans to drop the Ministry of Defence project.

So far, the MoD has spent nearly £2.5m on staffing costs and consultancy fees related to the project, according to the Daily Mirror.

Johnson’s ambition was reportedly for the ship to “promote the best of Brexit Britain”.

The vessel was supposed to host receptions, diplomatic meetings and act as a showcase during trade fairs abroad.

Business Secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg reportedly called the ship as “a glorious distraction” from the ongoing cost of livingc risis.

“I don’t think it’s in the realms of reality to have a royal yacht when you’re facing a cost-of-living problem.”

Jacob Rees-Mogg

In recent weeks it has become increasingly clear that the mood in Westminster has changed with regards to Boris Johnson’s ‘vanity project’.

Read more

Nscale doubles London office space as UK staff grows sixfold

2024 was a transformational year for GlobalData.

Recently, Defence Minister Ben Wallace said “the MoD has not assumed any liability for costs incurred by bidders in the design competition. And no design or manufacturing contracts have been placed.”

His response came after a question by Shadow defence minister Kevan Jones, a Labour MP, over whether the new government had any plans to go ahead with the expensive ship, first proposed by Boris Johnson.

“This complete waste of taxpayer money has obviously been sunk.”

Shadow defence minister Kevan Jones

“The Navy never wanted it in the first place and It was just one big Boris Johnson vanity project,” Jones told the Daily Mirror.

“The only way the project may still stay afloat is if Mr Johnson makes an extraordinary comeback as Prime Minister,” he said.

Johnson, however, indicated on Sunday evening he is not running for leader of the Tory party, this stage, which ultimately resulted in Rishi Sunak being named prime minister elect, yesterday afternoon.

The MoD declined to comment but said that “an announcement will be made in due course.”

Read more

Richard Desmond puts £1bn Westferry development up for sale

Richard Desmond's legal battle against Gambling Commission opened at High Court. Photo by Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Boris Johnson
  • Brexit

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Nscale doubles London office space as UK staff grows sixfold

    AI
    2024 was a transformational year for GlobalData.
  • Richard Desmond puts £1bn Westferry development up for sale

    Property
    Richard Desmond's legal battle against Gambling Commission opened at High Court. Photo by Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images
  • Burnham backs plan to pump £1bn pension funds into start-ups

    Investing
    Man in suit and red tie speaking at a podium to an audience in a modern building.
  • Reeves issues warning to successor as she battles to defend record

    Politics
    Reeves is eying mortgage reform as a key growth driver.
  • Strait of Hormuz ‘closed’ as Iran and US exchange strikes

    Economics
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • AI firms targeting London’s rare book shops in ‘dystopian’ hunt for training data

    AI
    Bloomsbury has reported results ahead of consensus expectations
  • IT consultant ordered to pay £50,000 after being accused of stealing Soho House members’ personal details

    Legal
    Soho House has continued to attract new members to its clubs.
  • ‘Grinding it out’: Ibstock swings to loss and cuts dividend amid building slump

    Property
    Construction workers hands building a brick wall with mortar and a leveling tool, demonstrating masonry work
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook