Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Saturday 27 October 2018 10:27 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 21 May 2019 4:21 pm

Sir Philip Green slams Lord Hain for unmasking him as businessman at centre of harassment allegations

By: Callum Keown

Add as a preferred source on Google

NULL

Sir Philip Green has slammed Lord Hain after the peer named him as the businessman at the centre of allegations of sexual harassment and racial abuse.

The business tycoon, who has denied all the allegations, was named by Lord Hain under parliamentary privilege after the Daily Telegraph was banned from identifying Green through an injunction.

The Topshop billionaire said he would lodge a formal complaint against Hain with the House of Lords.

“As many people have said, Lord Hain's blatant disregard of a judgment made by three senior judges is outrageous,” he said in a statement to the BBC.

The Labour peer said it was his duty to unmask Green as it was in the public interest and Hain has since stood by his actions amid criticism.

The Telegraph was due to publish an article on Wednesday based on an eight-month investigation into allegations of sexual harassment, racist abuse and bullying made against a prominent figure.

But the newspaper was barred from doing so by the Court of Appeal.

Instead the paper revealed five members of staff experienced harassment while working with an unnamed “leading businessman” and were silenced by non-disclosure agreements.

On Thursday Lord Hain, who it has since emerged is a paid adviser of the law firm used by the Telegraph, named Green in the House of Lords as the man at the centre of the allegations.

The retail mogul is currently in Tucson, Arizona and believed to be staying at his £2.3m home in the grounds a luxury health spa.

Green said he "categorically and wholly" denies all allegations of unlawful sexual or racist behaviour in a statement earlier this week.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

More from Morning Wire

  • Michael Dell, Lord Johnson and the ‘gun to the head’ meeting that ended a £15bn AI project

    Tech
    Dell Technologies CEO Michael Dell and Johnson discussing AI pathfinder with data center in background
  • Sadiq Khan’s London plan is not nearly ambitious enough

    Opinion
    The Mayor of London, Sir Sadiq Khan, has this morning announced a £1.4m cash injection for community sport across the capital.
  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
  • Billionaire Easyjet founder in line for £800m payday from takeover

    Markets
    Easygroup boss Stelios hits out after trademark defeat in London
  • Incoming FRC chair sits on board of construction group facing criminal probe

    Accountancy
    Blonde woman in a blue and black patterned jacket smiling in front of a window
  • On This Day in 1865: Lord Northcliffe, godfather of the tabloids, was born

    Opinion
    Alfred Harmsworth Lord Northcliffe portrait; influential British publisher and media mogul from the early 20th century.
  • Triumph for Tesla as top court rules 5G licensing case should be heard in UK

    Lawsuit
    Tech billionaire Elon Musk has been asked to serve in Donald Trump’s cabinet. (Photo by Apu Gomes/Getty Images)
  • Prince Harry defeated in phone hacking legal battle against Daily Mail publisher

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook