Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Saturday 14 December 2024 10:03 am

Spy-accused Chinese businessman ‘was invited to Buckingham Palace by duke’

By: Morning Wire reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
The businessman accused of being a Chinese spy was invited to Buckingham Palace by the Duke of York, it has been reported.
The businessman accused of being a Chinese spy was invited to Buckingham Palace by the Duke of York, it has been reported.

The businessman accused of being a Chinese spy was invited to Buckingham Palace by the Duke of York, it has been reported.

The man – who was banned from Britain by the Government on national security grounds – visited Buckingham Palace twice, and also entered St James’s Palace and Windsor Castle at the invitation of Prince Andrew, The Times reported.

On Friday, the duke said he “ceased all contact” with the businessman accused of being a Chinese spy when concerns were first raised about him.

Andrew met the individual through “official channels” with “nothing of a sensitive nature ever discussed”, a statement from his office said.

The businessman brought a case to the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC) after then-home secretary Suella Braverman said he should be excluded from the UK in March 2023.

Several newspapers have reported that the King has been briefed about his brother’s links to the alleged spy.

Ms Braverman has called for the man – known only as H6 – to lose his anonymity, the Telegraph has reported, as a “deterrent to others taking part in similar activities”.

Judges were told that in a briefing for the home secretary in July 2023, officials claimed H6 had been in a position to generate relationships between prominent UK figures and senior Chinese officials “that could be leveraged for political interference purposes”.

They also said H6 had downplayed his relationship with the Chinese state, which combined with his relationship with Andrew, 64, represented a threat to national security.

At a hearing in July, the specialist tribunal heard the businessman was told by an adviser to Andrew that he could act on the duke’s behalf when dealing with potential investors in China, and that H6 had been invited to Andrew’s birthday party in 2020.

A letter referencing the birthday party from the adviser, Dominic Hampshire, was discovered on H6’s devices when he was stopped at a port in November 2021.

In a ruling on Thursday, Mr Justice Bourne, Judge Stephen Smith and Sir Stewart Eldon, dismissed the challenge.

It comes after the royal family reportedly took further steps over the summer to distance themselves from the disgraced duke, with the King said to have axed his £1 million annual “living allowance” and the security Charles had been privately funding for Andrew’s home.

Professor Rana Mitter, ST Lee Professor of US-Asia Relations at the Harvard Kennedy School and an expert in Chinese politics, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that part of Chinese spying strategy is to look for people who might be “influential over time” but are “in a bit of a doldrums”.

He said the situation involving the Duke of York and H6 is “not so much about spying in the sense of trying to find out secrets, it’s about trying to influence”.

Read more

Premier League: US owners dominate over half of 20 clubs

Shahid Khan, businessman, smiling and wearing a bright blue scarf, looking to the right with a blurred background.

“Getting to know the elites of countries like Britain is a useful task not for immediate knowledge but maybe for long term development of links in society. It seems that’s what has been going on here,” Prof Mitter said.

“One of the things that quite often will happen is looking out for who may be influential over time, but perhaps is in a bit of a down spot, a bit of a doldrums.

“One of the best examples from a generation ago would have been President Richard Nixon, after he had to resign in disgrace over Watergate he was frequently invited to China.”

Andrew Lownie, who is writing a biography of the Duke and Sarah, Duchess of York, said the latest revelations involving the King’s younger brother would impact the wider family and the “future of the monarchy”, as he called for greater transparency around the the royals’ finances.

He said: “The real scandals surrounding him are financial more than sexual.

“Given he cannot police his own activities and understand where the moral boundaries lie, it is time for proper scrutiny of his finances and a public register of royal interests.

“Judging from online comments to newspaper articles, this episode is highly damaging for the whole of the royal family whose finances and business activities should now be more transparent.

“Time, too, for the exemption for them in the Freedom of Information Act be removed and their wills not sealed.

“After recent scandals, I think this is a very serious moment for the future of the monarchy.”

Buckingham Palace and the Duke of York’s office have been approached for comment.

Press Association

Read more

Prince Harry hit with £9.5m Daily Mail legal bill

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, in a navy suit, white shirt, and striped tie, looking down.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

People & Organisations

  • Buckingham Palace

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Premier League: US owners dominate over half of 20 clubs

    Sport Business
    Shahid Khan, businessman, smiling and wearing a bright blue scarf, looking to the right with a blurred background.
  • Prince Harry hit with £9.5m Daily Mail legal bill

    Legal
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, in a navy suit, white shirt, and striped tie, looking down.
  • Nottingham Forest owner Marinakis sues Crystal Palace for defamation

    Sport Business
    Evangelos Marinakis, owner of Nottingham Forest, in a dark jacket and white shirt, looking serious at a stadium.
  • JD assembles Ikea chair after rocky period for retailer

    Retail
    Peter Agnefjäll, former IKEA CEO, in a suit, headshot
  • Ari Emmanuel snaps up West End theatre group ATG for £4.5bn

    Hospitality
    Paddington Bear in a blue duffle coat and red hat on a purple background with BAFTA and EE logos
  • Prince Harry braces for eye watering legal bill after Daily Mail defeat

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Russian propaganda website hit with record ‘pink slime’ payout at High Court

    Life&Style
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
  • What’s on in London August

    Sponsored
    Collage of London attractions: Tower Bridge, outdoor dining, rock climbing, museum, afternoon tea, and spa.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook