Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,745.50
-0.02%
DAX
26,045.93
+0.24%
CAC 40
8,451.23
-0.02%
STOXX 50
6,437.68
+0.24%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 29 July 2025 1:11 pm

Stellantis: Vauxhall owner warns of £1.3bn tariff hit after EU-US deal

By: Ali Lyon

Add as a preferred source on Google
Stellantis warned of its ht from tariffs alongside its full-year results (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Stellantis warned of its ht from tariffs alongside its full-year results (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Stellantis will have to shoulder a €1.5bn (£1.3bn) hit from President Donald Trump’s swingeing tariffs on cars this year despite the trade deal struck between the European Union and United States earlier this week.

The automaker, whose stable of marques includes Vauxhall and Fiat, confirmed in a half-year update that it had already incurred levies of €300m on its US exports this year, and expects that figure to rise dramatically in the wake of the US-EU trade pact.

The €1.5bn hit is at the top end of the €1.0-€1.5bn range it provided last week alongside its preliminary results, which also revealed a 13 per cent drop in net revenues that led it to post a loss of €2.3bn.

Those bleak numbers were broadly confirmed in its final half-year earnings on Tuesday, prompting shares in the Milan-listed group to fall by as much as 4.8 per cent in early trading on Tuesday, before paring losses back to 1.6 per cent.

The tariff disclosure is one of the largest confirmed by a major European exporter since Donald Trump announced his first blitz of tariffs on carmakers in March.

It is also the first major company to issue formal guidance on tariffs in the aftermath of the deal struck by the European Union and US on Sunday to stave off the worst of Donald Trump’s telegraphed import taxes.

EU officials secured a 15 per cent tariff on member states’ exports to the US – down from the spectre of 30 per cent levies coming into force in August – and in return unveiled multibillion dollar investments into the US’s energy and defence sectors.

Read more

Miliband refused to meet motor trade body to discuss zero emissions mandate

Ed Miliband speaking at a podium during a press conference, addressing energy policy reforms and climate change initiatives.

But the deal sparked several stinging rebukes from European political heavyweights, many of whom warned the terms would act as yet another headwind on Europe’s already stuttering economy.

Stellantis ‘realistic about challenges’

French Prime Minister Francois Bayrou said the agreement represented a “submission” from the bloc, which amounted to a “dark day” for European interests.

And German Chancellor Friedrich Merz warned that even though the terms were the “best result achievable”, they would wreak “considerable damage” to his nation’s export-reliant economy.

Alongside its tariff disclosure, Stellantis confirmed it expected revenue and cash flow to tick back up after a torrid year during which its shares have nearly halved in value.

The group’s electric vehicle divisions have struggled to compete with the influx of cheap Chinese competitors in Europe and the US, and many of its flagship marques have failed to refresh their line-ups at the same speed as competitors.

“Our new leadership team, while realistic about the challenges, will continue making the tough decisions needed to re-establish profitable growth and significantly improved results,” newly appointed chief executive Antonio Filosa said.

Filosa took the reins at Stellantis in May after his predecessor, Carlos Tavares, resigned abruptly last year after “different views” emerged between him and the board.

Read more

Vauxhall Mokka GSE review: on-track in the most surprising car of 2026

Blue and black Vauxhall Mokka driving on a winding country road with a driver visible, against a hilly landscape.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

People & Organisations

  • Cars
  • chrysler fiat
  • Donald Trump
  • Europe tariffs
  • european union
  • Friedrich Merz
  • presdient trump
  • President Donald Trump
  • President Trump
  • Stellantis
  • tariff
  • tariffs
  • trump
  • Trump administration
  • trump tariff
  • trump tariffs
  • United States
  • Ursula von der Leyen
  • US tariff
  • us tariffs
  • US-EU trade deal
  • Vauxhall

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Miliband refused to meet motor trade body to discuss zero emissions mandate

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Ed Miliband speaking at a podium during a press conference, addressing energy policy reforms and climate change initiatives.
  • Vauxhall Mokka GSE review: on-track in the most surprising car of 2026

    Life&Style
    Blue and black Vauxhall Mokka driving on a winding country road with a driver visible, against a hilly landscape.
  • Premier League agree EFL funding deal which could be worth £1.5bn

    Sport Business
    Close-up of a white and navy blue sports jersey with the Premier League logo emblem on the fabric
  • Aberdeen is back in the FTSE 100 but is Interactive Investor holding it up?

    Investing
    Skyline of Canada with iconic financial district buildings, highlighting UK investments and economic growth.
  • Labour’s ‘chaotic’ zero-hour crackdown could cost firms £3bn per year

    Economics
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, in a suit and glasses, looking serious against a bright sky.
  • HSBC kicks off $1bn share buyback after profit smashes forecast

    Banking
    HSBC's stock has taken a hit due to the huge tariffs slapped on Asian countries.
  • Tesco ‘in talks’ to exit eastern Europe

    Retail
    Tesco storefront with shoppers entering and exiting, highlighting the brands popularity and bustling retail environment
  • Barclays in legal battle with MFS administrators over part of £160m holding

    Banking
    Barclays bank exterior with logo as it announces mortgage rate cuts amidst upcoming interest rate decision.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook