Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 09 January 2023 6:52 pm  |  Updated:  Wednesday 11 January 2023 12:52 am

Struggling Britishvolt in talks with investors about buying majority stake

By: Nicholas Earl

Add as a preferred source on Google
A CGI rendering of the planned gigafactory (Source: Sky News/ Britishvolt)

A consortium of investors are in talks to buy a majority stake in Britishvolt, potentially offering the troubled battery start-up a much-needed lifeline.

The company has been scrambling to secure fresh funds for months and only just avoided administration last year, after raising several million pounds from mining group Glencore and slapping staff with temporary wage cuts.

This has tided the company over the new year, but its future prospects depend on securing long-term funding.

In a statement, Britishvolt revealed it was “in discussions with a consortium of investors concerning the potential majority sale of the company”.

A spokesperson explained: “The discussions aim to secure legally binding terms that would provide Britishvolt with the long-term sustainability and funding necessary to enable it to pursue its current plans to build a strong and viable battery cell R&D and manufacturing business in the UK.”

The much-vaunted battery specialist’s travails in recent months reflect a sharp downturn in the company’s reputation.

In 2021, the company managed to secure a funding promise of £100m from the government – contingent on beginning construction work on its Blyth, Northumberland.

So far, it has failed unlock the funding – with the £3.8bn battery gigafactory in North-East England hampered by delays and construction still in its infancy.

Morning Wire understands it requested £30m in advanced funding last November from the government when it first fell into financial difficulties.

However, this was rejected by Downing Street which argued it was not far enough along on the project.

When approached for comment, the Government confirmed it does not comment on “speculation or the commercial affairs of private companies.”   

A BEIS spokesperson said: “We are determined to ensure the UK remains one of the best locations in the world for automotive manufacturing as we transition to electric vehicles, while ensuring taxpayer money is used responsibly and provides best-value.  

Read more

Todd Boehly and Mark Walter to sell stakes in Chelsea?

Football fans protest in the street holding a banner: Blueco Clearlake Boehly Wyss Feliciano & Eghbali Youre Destroying Ou...

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Energy

Trending Articles

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Todd Boehly and Mark Walter to sell stakes in Chelsea?

    Sport Business
    Football fans protest in the street holding a banner: Blueco Clearlake Boehly Wyss Feliciano & Eghbali Youre Destroying Ou...
  • Jeff Bezos closes in on Liverpool FC stake as FSG sale deal nears

    Sport Business
    Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder, in a blue suit and light shirt, speaking at a business event
  • West Ham: Staveley receives Sadiq Khan encouragement to buy London Stadium

    Sport Business
    Low-angle view of a football stadium from the pitch, showing the corner marking and empty seats under a blue sky
  • Exclusive: Easyjet shareholder rights to be watered down under Apollo deal

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Premier League: US owners dominate over half of 20 clubs

    Sport Business
    Shahid Khan, businessman, smiling and wearing a bright blue scarf, looking to the right with a blurred background.
  • Staveley planning ‘big property play’ as she closes in on West Ham stake

    Sport Business
    Smiling woman with blonde hair and black sunglasses in a black coat
  • Why Liverpool deal proves demand for Premier League stakes is soaring

    Sport Business
    Liverpool FC fans cheering in a stadium, holding up red scarves and wearing team jerseys.
  • Mbappe-backed brand set for London store in Harrods

    Sport Business
    Kylian Mbappé in a cream-colored Adidas track jacket with the Real Madrid crest, looking up with a thoughtful expression
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook