Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,761.25
+0.10%
DAX
26,455.60
+0.06%
CAC 40
8,627.59
-0.11%
STOXX 50
6,559.70
+0.31%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 25 January 2024 4:08 pm

Takeover failure: UK’s Elementis rejects US private equity bid

By: Elliot Gulliver-Needham

Add as a preferred source on Google
Carried intere
Software firm Bytes Group has said it expects profit growth to surpass 12 per cent in its full year earnings update.

US private equity firm KPS Capital Partners has been rejected in its takeover offer for UK-listed chemical company Elementis.

Elementis rejected a 160p per share takeover, with Reuters reporting that the firm’s board wanted around 180p. The firm is currently trading on 139p per share.

Elementis has been under pressure for months from its shareholders to pursue a takeover bid, as the firm’s investors urge it to engage with buyers.

In an open letter, Franklin Mutual Advisers, which controls 9.8 per cent of Elementis, called for the firm’s chair and board of directors to pursue a takeover.

“We are deeply concerned that, once again, the board does not appear to be acting in the best interests of its shareholders,” the firm’s senior vice president and portfolio manager Steve Raineri wrote.

Franklin Mutual Advisers previously called for the firm to pursue a buyout in September last year, and was joined by other investors when it published an open letter.

The letter noted that Elementis had previously had prior offers from Minerals Technologies in December 2020 for 130p per share, and from Innospec in March 2021 for 160p, indicating that it was a “desirable acquisition target”.

“We believe this indication of interest should be the catalyst to launch a formal process to maximise shareholder value,” Raineri wrote.

Following the news of the rejected takeover, the share price of Elementis shot up by 13.9 per cent today.

In the firm’s most recent trading update, Elementis said it expected adjusted operating profits to come to $102-$104m last year.

Elementis and KPS both did not respond to requests for comment.

Read more

Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Investing
  • Business

Related Topics

  • Elementis

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

    Markets
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • FTSE 100 firm agrees £5.7bn takeover in latest private equity swoop

    Markets
    GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
  • FTSE 100 property giant Segro rejects £13.5bn Prologis bid

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Easyjet agrees to £5.7bn Apollo takeover

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • ‘We are going to run out’: Mitie marks eleventh mega takeover of 2026

    Markets
    The FTSE 100 enjoyed a 3-year record rally in the third quarter.
  • FTSE 100 property firm slams ‘opportunistic, one-sided, inadequate’ takeover offer

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • Private equity firms eye valuation gap as City falls to takeovers

    Markets
    The FTSE 100 could face trouble as banks suffer from bond market turmoil.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook