Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Sunday 07 July 2024 2:58 pm  |  Updated:  Sunday 07 July 2024 3:48 pm

Tata Steel: Labour will ‘make sure’ job guarantees a part of Port Talbot deal

By: Guy Taylor

Transport Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Tata has closed one of two massive blast furnaces at Port Talbot and has plans to shut down the second in September.
Tata has closed one of two massive blast furnaces at Port Talbot and has plans to shut down the second in September.

Labour will “make sure job guarantees” are part of negotiations with Tata Steel over its Port Talbot site, the business secretary has said.

Jonathan Reynolds said there is a “better deal available” for the site in South Wales and the wider UK steel industry, as he revealed he had already held talks with Britain’s biggest steelmaker.

Tata has closed one of two massive blast furnaces at Port Talbot and has plans to shut down the second in September.

The Conservative government pledged a £500m investment to keep the site running while Tata shifts to greener production methods.

However, 2,800 jobs would still be lost as a result, and the deal was never signed prior to the election.

The proposals have enraged the Unite Union, which held eleventh-hour talks with Tata Steel last Sunday to narrowly avoid strike action through the summer.

Reynolds said he would “make sure that job guarantees are part of the negotiations that we’re having… we have to make sure this is a transition that works for working people.”

Read more

Government urged to refuse £1bn British Steel repayment to Chinese former owner 

Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.

Reynolds was speaking on BBC’s Sunday With Laura Kuenssberg programme. “There is more money available for the steel industry under our plans for government,” he said.

“But that’s about making sure we meet this transition with the private sector together and recognise … it is a good exemplar of how we have to make sure that decarbonisation is not deindustrialisation and we’ve got to do that together.

As part of the previous government’s deal, Tata would invest £750m to build an electric arc furnace to replace one of the blast furnaces.

Reynolds said: “Blast furnaces employ more people than some of the newer technologies available, whether that is electric arc furnaces or what is called DRI, so there’s a range of things you have to understand.

“But I absolutely agree with the point that we have to make sure this is a transition that works for working people and that they’re part of that and you can’t simply give money out without guarantees in exchange for that.”

Labour has put forward a £3bn “green steel” fund for the industry over the next five years, although the figure is only reached with the inclusion of the £500m pledged to Tata Steel by the Conservative government.

Read more

Back to basics: Sainsbury’s gradual retreat from the British high street

Sainsbury’s Cobham. Credit: David Parry/PA Media Assignments.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

People & Organisations

  • Labour
  • Labour Party
  • steel
  • Tata Steel
  • Unite Union

Trending Articles

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Government urged to refuse £1bn British Steel repayment to Chinese former owner 

    Politics
    Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.
  • Back to basics: Sainsbury’s gradual retreat from the British high street

    Retail
    Sainsbury’s Cobham. Credit: David Parry/PA Media Assignments.
  • ISG Event to Spotlight Strategies for the AI-Driven Autonomous Enterprise

    Business Wire
  • Jeff Bezos closes in on Liverpool FC stake as FSG sale deal nears

    Sport Business
    Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder, in a blue suit and light shirt, speaking at a business event
  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

    Industrials
    Manchester United minority owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s Ineos has announced a “significant strategic investment” into premium apparel brand Castore.
  • Banning vape shops won’t fix scuzzy high streets

    Opinion
    High street vape shop Ecigwizard next to Costa Coffee and Subway, with people walking and sitting outside.
  • Lord O’Neill declines job in Burnham government

    Economics
    Jim ONeill, economist and former Goldman Sachs chairman, sitting on a yellow sofa in front of large windows.
  • Astrazeneca explores $400bn megadeal with US rival 

    Markets
    AstraZeneca building exterior with logo, glass facade, UK flag, and wildflowers in foreground.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook