Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 08 July 2015 4:46 am

TfL Tube strike 2015: London Underground boss Mike Brown defends Night Tube, insists workers’ hours will not increase

By: Catherine Neilan

Add as a preferred source on Google

London Underground boss Mike Brown has defended the Night Tube as “exciting and essential” – and insisted the group is not demanding staff to work more hours to operate it. 
 
Tube workers are poised to go on a major strike from 6pm tonight, which will disrupt the entire network for at least 24 hours. Talks between TfL and unions RMT, Aslef, TSSA and Unite have gone on for five months, but fell through (again) last night. 
 
Brown, managing director of LU, said the strike would cause “big disruption to the people and economy of London”, adding: “It is also totally unnecessary.”
 
Read more: Travel advice to help you cope without the Tube
 
He detailed the many reasons why the Night Tube would benefit the capital, cutting nighttime journeys by an average of 20 minutes and supporting London's nighttime economy, which will boost the economy by £360m, but insisted that “being fair to our hardworking staff is central to its introduction”.
 
Brown said: “We are not asking staff to work unlimited nights and weekends. In fact, no-one is being asked to work any more hours and most staff will not be affected at all. For the majority of those who are, Night Tube will mean a few extra nights per year within their existing working week.
 
“We have recruited 137 additional train drivers to allow all night operation and reduce the impact on our existing drivers. However, in the short term we will ask some train operators to do more. After a short transitional period, train operators will have the choice whether or not to work the Night Tube shifts.”
 
Read more: The silver lining to travel chaos is compensation
 
He insisted LU had been “completely open and transparent” with unions and staff throughout the process, offering pay rises and a £500 launch bonus to all staff working on the Night Tube, as well as an additional £2,000 bonus for train operators “where transitional arrangements apply”. 
 
“But the leaderships of the unions have refused to respond to this offer, which is very different to the one over which they balloted, and have refused to put it to their members,” Brown added. “Instead, as is too often the case, they continue to threaten London with strike action for no good reason. 
 
“For our part, we know you only sort these things out around a table – not by inflicting misery on hardworking Londoners. We remain committed to talking at any time provided that they are serious about engaging with us.”
 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Night Tube
  • Transport for London
  • Travel delays and disruption

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Which is the smelliest Tube line?

    Opinion
    Passenger wearing a blue surgical mask and coat on a London Underground train.
  • Point2 Completes $136M Series B Funding with Arm, LB Investment, and Maverick Silicon

    Business Wire
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Burnham’s devolution drive could ‘push 90,000 jobs out of London’

    Economics
    In 2022, rolling Tube strikes led to massive queues for crowded buses. (Photo by Chris J Ratcliffe/Getty Images)
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss after takeover bid

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

    Retail
    Low-angle view of the Harvey Nichols store facade with large windows, ornate columns, and prominent signage.
  • TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

    Tech
    Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background
  • Labour’s ‘chaotic’ zero-hour crackdown could cost firms £3bn per year

    Economics
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, in a suit and glasses, looking serious against a bright sky.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook