Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,826.19
+0.73%
DAX
26,155.62
+0.66%
CAC 40
8,492.34
+0.46%
STOXX 50
6,463.55
+0.65%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 03 August 2022 1:58 pm  |  Updated:  Wednesday 03 August 2022 2:06 pm

TfL tells union financial recovery at risk if Tube strikes go ahead

By: Ilaria Grasso Macola

Add as a preferred source on Google
London Underground Workers Participate In Another 24 Hour Strike
The RMT announced yesterday the strike will go ahead on 19 August.(Photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images)

Transport for London (TfL) has called on the union RMT to cancel the Tube strike on 19 August as walking out will only increase the public body’s financial risks.

“I need to be really clear with you, that taking further industrial action at this time will do nothing but undermine our negotiations with government and simply increase the challenge that we need to meet,” TfL’s director of people and cultural change Fiona Brunskill said in a letter to RMT’s general secretary Mick Lynch. 

“I need not spell out the dire consequences for TfL and London Underground if we are unable to secure continued funding.”

The letter was initially leaked to London news website MyLondon. 

TfL’s warning comes as the latest talks on long-term government funding dragged on.

Brunskill told Lynch that there are currently no plans to make changes to the pension scheme and that TfL wished for everyone to remain employed “in line with our existing agreement to avoid redundancies.”

No proposal to alter the terms and conditions of agreements were on the table. 

Read more

TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background

“​​You are asking for assurances that no organisation could ever meaningfully provide, even without the challenges that TfL are trying to address, because no one can be sure what the future may hold,” she added. 

Commenting on the letter, Lynch said the RMT was prepared to work with the public body but the strike would go ahead.

“This latest letter from TfL does not address our central demands which is that there should be no job losses, no detrimental changes to pensions
and no imposition of new working conditions,” the general secretary added.

“We are prepared to work with TfL, but our members will not be sacrificial lambs on the altar of austerity.”

The union confirmed yesterday that Tube and Overground strikes, which were called last week, will go ahead on 19 August.

The RMT confirmed that more than 10,000 workers will walk out as part of two different disputes, with Tube employees going on strike over pensions and jobs while Overground staff over pay.

TfL has declined to comment on the letter.

Read more

No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Transport for London

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

    Tech
    Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background
  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • Councils accused of turning e-bike operators into ‘revenue stream’ as fees surge

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Lime faces growing scrutiny over its safety record.
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • Three ways Andy Burnham can avoid Keir Starmer’s mistakes

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, speaking at an event
  • Tory and Labour councillors spar over £300m Hammersmith Bridge plans

    Politics
    Hammersmith Bridge spanning the River Thames, surrounded by lush greenery and clear blue skies, capturing its iconic archi...
  • Point2 Completes $136M Series B Funding with Arm, LB Investment, and Maverick Silicon

    Business Wire
  • I’m 60, please don’t give me a Freedom Pass

    Opinion
    Close-up of a blue Oyster card against a white background, highlighting its role in public transportation payment systems.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook