Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.11
-0.21%
DAX
26,440.31
0.00%
CAC 40
8,636.80
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,539.59
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceBankingAIEnergyFintechPropertyCapital Markets
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 20 August 2024 10:54 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 20 August 2024 12:17 pm

Rick Stein-owned group to open new restaurant in central London after return to profit

By: Amber Murray

Retail Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
The Stein Group will take its fish-centric fare to central London after returning to profit last year
The Stein Group will take its fish-centric fare to central London after returning to profit last year

The Stein Group, founded and co-owned by Rick Stein, has announced plans to expand to central London after making its way back into profit last year.

Stein’s has reportedly begun the search for a central London site for its thirteenth restaurant. It currently operates twelve eateries across the south of the country, with one already running in Barnes on the outskirts of London.

After a tough time during the pandemic – Stein told The Times the company had been “clobbered” by gas prices in 2022 – the group returned to safer waters in 2023 as costs began to stabilise and consumer confidence started to improve.

Operating losses at across The Stein Group, including twelve restaurants, a cookery school in Padstow and a meal kits business, narrowed sharply to £250,000 compared with a near £1.5 million loss in 2022.

Operating profit in the company, which is the largest private employer in Cornwall with 650 employees, improved by 106 per cent year on year to reach £63,000 after a loss of more than a million in 2022, while turnover dropped by five per cent to just under £12m.

The group said that sales of its meal delivery kits Dishpatch, which was set up during the pandemic, helped to drive growth.

Dishpatch was taken over by Waitrose in June this year. The delivery service will continue to operate under the Dishpatch brand with Peter Butler at the helm.

“Whilst the hospitality industry continued to face its fair share of challenges during 2023, we enjoyed a successful summer season and improved results in a number of our restaurants,” Stein’s managing director Ian Fitzgerald said. 

“There are now positive signs of economic recovery, with inflation down to two per cent and the first reduction in base rate for 22 months recently announced. Having reorganised our finances and driven efficiencies throughout the business we are now exploring expansion opportunities,” he added.

Shareholder executive director Charlie Stein said: “Our focus in the next few months is on maximising the opportunities to celebrate the 50th year anniversary of the business in 2025.

“It is also the perfect time to evolve our restaurant concepts to appeal to a wider audience and we are actively looking to open our first site in Central London.”

Read more

Inside the trippy French vineyard owned by ousted Claridge’s billionaire 

Former Claridges billionaires French vineyard with lush grapevines and scenic landscape in a business feature.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

People & Organisations

  • Dishpatch
  • Jack Stein
  • London restaurants
  • Rick Stein
  • The Stein Group

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Brompton Bicycle sues former adviser for ‘professional negligence’

  • Revolut chatbot goes rogue by charging users to cancel subscription

More from Morning Wire

  • Inside the trippy French vineyard owned by ousted Claridge’s billionaire 

    Life&Style
    Former Claridges billionaires French vineyard with lush grapevines and scenic landscape in a business feature.
  • Heineken-owned pubs group faces probe over eviction threat

    Hospitality
    Hand holding a 4-pack of green Heineken beer cans with red stars and white lettering
  • HSBC kicks off $1bn share buyback after profit smashes forecast

    Banking
    HSBC's stock has taken a hit due to the huge tariffs slapped on Asian countries.
  • Tesco ‘in talks’ to exit eastern Europe

    Retail
    Tesco storefront with shoppers entering and exiting, highlighting the brands popularity and bustling retail environment
  • Aspire’s David Collyer: my curry catastrophe at the Cinnamon Club

    Opinion
    David Collyer, CEO of Swissport, sitting in a black leather chair with a brown travel bag beside him.
  • Five-star Mayfair hotel hit with HMRC winding-up petition

    Hospitality
    Exterior of The Stafford London hotel, a brick building with British and American flags, elegant windows, and ornate raili...
  • Starling plans to ‘come out swinging’ in diversification bid

    Fintech
    Smiling woman, potentially Starling CEO, over city skyline with STARLING branding
  • 2PointZero Group Signals Global Scale With Revenue Surge to AED 21.9 Billion and Net Profit of AED 7.7 Billion in H1 2026

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • UK & Ireland

Business

  • Markets
  • Banking
  • Technology
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Fintech

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook