Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 12 July 2019 8:30 am  |  Updated:  Friday 12 July 2019 9:48 am

Thomas Cook shares hit record low amid £750m takeover talks with Fosun

By: Alex Daniel

Add as a preferred source on Google
Thomas Cook
Thomas Cook crashed into administration last year

Thomas Cook’s shares sunk to their lowest price ever this morning as it confirmed it is in advanced talks with Fosun over a proposed £750m deal which would give the Chinese firm majority ownership over its tour operator business.

Read more: Thomas Cook engages in Fosun talks to save company

The deal would also give Fosun minority interest in Thomas Cook’s airline business.

Shares in the travel company plunged more than 40 per cent in early morning trading to just 6.25p after it emerged shareholders would lose much of their value in the company if the deal went ahead.

“After evaluating a broad range of options to reduce our debt and to put our finances onto a more sustainable footing … the board has decided to move forward with a plan to recapitalise the business,” Thomas Cook chief executive Peter Fankhauser said in a statement.

“While this is not the outcome any of us wanted for our shareholders, this proposal is a pragmatic and responsible solution.”

Thomas Cook’s shares have lost more than 85 per cent of their value in the last year after a series of disappointing financial results. The ailing tour operator reported a £1.5bn half-year loss in May, and is struggling with a £1.4bn debt pile.

Much of this debt would be written off and converted into shares as part of the deal, while the new cash would be directed towards the airline division and the newly-sold tour operations arm.

Hong Kong listed Fosun already owns Clubmed and Premier League football club Wolverhampton Wanderers (Getty)

Shareholders ‘significantly diluted’

In a statement, Thomas Cook said existing shareholders would be “significantly diluted” as part of the deal. 

“However, shareholders may be given the opportunity to participate in the recapitalisation by way of investment alongside Fosun and converting financial creditors on terms to be agreed,” it said.

Fosun is already the travel company’s biggest shareholder, with an 18 per cent stake. The news comes a month after Thomas Cook originally said it was in talks, after the Chinese firm made an initial approach.

Fosun Tourism Group said: “There are advanced discussions among the company, Thomas Cook and Thomas Cook’s core lending banks on the key commercial principles on the proposal.”

“Fosun is a shareholder in Thomas Cook, because it is a British company operating in the global travel industry, in which we have extensive experience. We are committed investors, with a proven track record of turning around iconic brands including ClubMed and Wolverhampton Wanderers FC.”

The cash injection would give the travel company enough funds to trade through the winter period and make investments to secure its future.

Speaking to journalists this morning, Fankhauser was unable to confirm whether such a deal would mean Thomas Cook de-listing from the British stock market.

When asked whether he would remain as chief executive after the deal, he was unable to confirm either way. He said: “This is really not about me… Time will tell us.”

Read more

Astrazeneca share price tumbles on $400bn megamerger talks

Astrazeneca headquarters with logo, reflecting commitment to reduce US medicine prices after Trump administration pressure

He was also unable to guarantee the deal would not lead to redundancies across the company. “That is up to Fosun to decide,” he said. But, he added, this is “really good news for our employees” because the deal would give the business more financial stability.

Thomas Cook shares have plunged more than 85 per cent in the last 12 months (Getty)

‘Uncertain customer environment’

Thomas Cook said bookings were down nine per cent year-on-year for the summer thus far and that it was facing “intense competition” as it headed into the peak season.

This reflects an “uncertain customer environment,” it said. The travel company has struggled in recent years after sales declined and uncertainty around Brexit hampered customers’ desire to book holidays.

Thomas Cook has already been forced to axe 150 jobs from its Peterborough head office as it tussles with difficult trading conditions.

Read more: Fosun lines up bid for Thomas Cook tour business

“The group is helping to mitigate these challenges with a rigorous focus on cost, while remaining fully focused on delivering a stronger holiday offering to customers through high quality, higher-margin hotels,” it said.

Questions remain for Thomas Cook investors

“Whilst this has long been seen as the likely route out of the mire for Thomas Cook, there are several questions remaining, for instance how would this deal impact the proposed airline sale?” asked Neil Wilson, chief analyst at Markets.com.

“Management say they are pausing the sale but it likely be dead if Fosun take over. Given the current environment, it may have been harder to offload the airline than thought, at least at a price that worked for Thomas Cook.

“Indeed management note that the ‘progressively more challenging’ market environment has affected its ability to execute a disposal of the airline ‘in a way which returns satisfactory value to the group’.”

Thomas Cook fell into its current predicament in May but a trading update accompanying today’s talks showed little improvement.

Tour bookings have fallen nine per cent year on year for its busy summer period, while airline bookings are down three per cent.

“Margins remain weak due to continued intense competition with high levels of promotional activity across all businesses,” the company said.

Meanwhile Thomas Cook warned on earnings for the next six months, saying “it is clear that the trends experienced in the first half of the year have continued into the second half”.

It blamed an “uncertain” consumer spending environment in the UK, increasing competition.

Main image credit: Getty

Read more

FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Retail

Related Topics

  • M&A
  • Thomas Cook Group

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Astrazeneca share price tumbles on $400bn megamerger talks

    Investing
    Astrazeneca headquarters with logo, reflecting commitment to reduce US medicine prices after Trump administration pressure
  • FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Astrazeneca explores $400bn megadeal with US rival 

    Markets
    AstraZeneca building exterior with logo, glass facade, UK flag, and wildflowers in foreground.
  • Inside the London workshop that made Hundred, FA Cup and World Cup trophies

    Sport Business
    Thomas Lyte designer polishing intricate gold ceremonial helmet detail with a rotary tool.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 falls as Iran and US clash over Strait of Hormuz; Oil stockpiles ‘rapidly depleting’

    FTSE 100 Live
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • As it happened: Stocks rise despite new tensions in Strait of Hormuz; Oil price climbs

    FTSE 100 Live
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • As it happened: Stocks fall into red as oil fluctuates over Middle East developments

    FTSE 100 Live
    Large oil tanker navigating a strait under a cloudy sky, impacting oil prices and global trade.
  • As it happened: Stocks rise as oil fluctuates after Red Sea attack; US-Iran deal ‘being circulated’

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump delivering a speech at a podium during a formal event, emphasizing key points to an attentive audience.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook