Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,745.50
-0.02%
DAX
26,045.93
+0.24%
CAC 40
8,451.23
-0.02%
STOXX 50
6,437.68
+0.24%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 14 November 2016 6:30 am

Thomas Cook invests in more own-brand hotels across Europe as it seeks to shake off Turkey tourism decline

By: Rebecca Smith

Add as a preferred source on Google

Thomas Cook is branching out its own-brand portfolio with the launch of 14 more hotels in the next two years.

It is investing in new hotels across Europe, with locations in Cyprus, Kos, Mallorca and Sicily, as well as elsewhere, including the Maldives. The company said it formed part of its strategy to secure long-term profitable growth.

The package holiday giant unveiled its Casa Cook brand earlier this year, with the launch of its first boutique hotel on the island of Rhodes to mark the first of a collection of hotels built specifically for Thomas Cook. So far, the company says this new direction has taken off well, with 90 per cent of the customers booking in the first season new to Thomas Cook.

Read more: Thomas Cook bookings dip due to volatility in Turkey

Peter Fankhauser, group chief executive of Thomas Cook, said: "We are investing heavily in delivering best-in-class service and our own-brand hotels give us the opportunity to take even more control of the customer experience."

The move comes after a tricky summer for the company, with bookings dropping as holiday makers opted for destinations they viewed as safer over the likes of Turkey. 

Bookings dropped four per cent in the summer, when a failed coup in Turkey – which is the second-biggest destination for the firm – heightened concerns over instability in the area. With Turkey excluded, bookings went up eight per cent, and the company is focusing on capitalising on other locations to continue to plug that gap.

In July, Fankhauser said since the half year the company had "taken action to further reduce our capacity to Turkey and increased sales to holidays to other areas".

Read more: Thomas Cook earnings pushed lower by terrorism

Egypt too has been difficult for the tourism industry after a government no-fly rule last year on flights to Sharm el-Sheikh is still yet to be lifted. That was brought in after a bomb on Metrojet flight 9251 to St Petersburg led to the deaths of all 224 people on board.

Monarch recently announced it was cancelling all flight and holiday bookings there indefinitely, "with no indication from the government as to when the airport will re-open flights from the UK".

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Retail

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Could an England World Cup win boost the markets?

    Opinion
    Getty Images logo on a smartphone screen, representing a focus on digital media and stock photography industry trends
  • Holiday Inn owner suffers Middle East slowdown as Iran war hits tourism

    Hospitality
    IHG opened 17,500 rooms across 98 hotels throughout the quarter.
  • Inside the London workshop that made Hundred, FA Cup and World Cup trophies

    Sport Business
    Thomas Lyte designer polishing intricate gold ceremonial helmet detail with a rotary tool.
  • Tracker funds are turning 50 – will they make it to 100?

    Markets
    John C. Bogle, Vanguard founder, speaking at a business event, wearing a suit and tie
  • Modon Holding and Nammos Hotels & Resorts Bring Nammos Ras El Hekma to Egypt’s North Coast

    Business Wire
  • How padel courts became a must-have for upscale hotels and members’ clubs

    Sport Business
    Outdoor padel tennis court with green turf, high fences, and a net, against a backdrop of trees and buildings.
  • Hilton, Butlins left fuming over business rates snub 

    Hospitality
    Modern Butlins hotel building with multiple balconies, a path leading to it, and a small pond in the foreground.
  • Top-end priced UK properties may take four times longer to leave market

    Property
    Rightmove is the fourth busiest UK-based platform
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook