Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 17 October 2023 3:20 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 17 October 2023 3:29 pm

Those who lost jobs in Carillion deserve answers, GMB says, as execs avoid trial

By: Jennifer Sieg

SME Correspondent

Add as a preferred source on Google
GMB Union says those who lost their jobs in the Carillion collapse "deserve answers"
GMB Union says those who lost their jobs in the Carillion collapse "deserve answers"

Questions are circulating around why the Government had invested “substantial” amounts of public money into a trial in pursuit of five Carillion non-executive directors which was dropped late last week.

In response to the trial being called off, GMB Union has said those who lost their jobs with the Carillion collapse “deserve answers.”

According to a report in The Times, the Insolvency Service was seeking disqualification orders that would have prevented five former board members from acting as directors.

The five members were Philip Green, long-serving chairman Andrew Dougal, Alison Horner, Ceri Powell and Keith Cochrain.

The collapse of Carillion in 2018 led to more than 3,000 job losses.

“The Carillion affair was a stain on the reputation of British business and the decision not to proceed with this trial creates the impression that it is being brushed under the carpet,” said Andy Pendergast, GMB national secretary.

“Workers, suppliers and the tax payer lost hundreds of millions in the collapse and yet those responsible seem to have escaped with minor sanctions and fines.”

He added that “serious questions” must be asked about why people have been let off the hook.

Read more

Stop burying us in swollen corporate reports, says audit watchdog boss

Richard Moriarty, FRC unveils new stewardship code reducing reporting burdens

“The best that can be said is that it represents good money being thrown after bad, the worst frankly doesn’t bear thinking about.

“Those who lost their livelihoods deserve answers.”

In January 2021, the Insolvency Service issued director disqualification proceedings against eight former directors of the construction company.

Disqualifications were accepted for three: Zafar Khan for 11 years, Richard Adam for 12.5 years, and Richard Howson for eight years.

A spokesperson for the Insolvency Service said: “The Secretary of State is obliged to keep the public interest in all cases under constant review, and it was concluded that continuing with the proceedings against the Non-Executive Directors was no longer in the public interest.

“On that basis the parties agreed that the proceedings should be concluded by way of agreement and without the need for a trial or the associated expense. This concludes the proceedings.”

The Insolvency Service declined to comment on GMB’s statement.

Read more

Andy Burnham pressured to safeguard jury trials after legal backlash

Andy Burnham speaking at a press conference, addressing current events and regional developments, wearing a suit and tie.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Morning Wire Content
  • Corporate News
  • Politics

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Stop burying us in swollen corporate reports, says audit watchdog boss

    Accountancy
    Richard Moriarty, FRC unveils new stewardship code reducing reporting burdens
  • Andy Burnham pressured to safeguard jury trials after legal backlash

    Legal
    Andy Burnham speaking at a press conference, addressing current events and regional developments, wearing a suit and tie.
  • Hacking scandal? Inside Prince Harry’s costly legal battle over privacy

    Media
    Associated Newspapers, which is owned by Lord Rothermere's Daily Mail and General (DMG Media), said losses ballooned from £699,000 in 2022 to £44.5m in the year ended 1 October 2023
  • Prince Harry defeated in phone hacking legal battle against Daily Mail publisher

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Silence Therapeutics Announces Positive Topline Results from Phase 2 SANRECO Trial of Divesiran in Polycythemia Vera, Supporting its Potential Best-in-Class Profile

    Business Wire
  • Andy Burnham will find there is a limit to tax rises

    Opinion
    At its core, an ISA is a "tax wrapper," a protective shell that shields your money from income tax and capital gains tax.
  • Anthropic payout piles pressure on UK ministers in AI copyright row

    Tech
    Smartphone displaying the Claude by Anthropic AI assistant app, showing the app icon and interface.
  • Industry backs mooted Burnham plans for return of alcohol on football terraces

    Sport Business
    Hand holding a blue FIFA World Cup 2026 sponsored cup, with an England football jersey visible.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook