Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 23 June 2020 7:20 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 23 June 2020 7:37 am

Trump adviser walks back comments saying US-China trade deal is ‘over’

By: Reuters

Add as a preferred source on Google
White House trade adviser Peter Navarro said on Monday the US trade deal with China "continues in place", walking back on his earlier remarks that the pact was ‘over’, stoking volatility in markets already frazzled by the coronavirus pandemic.
White House trade adviser Peter Navarro said on Monday the US trade deal with China "continues in place", walking back on his earlier remarks that the pact was ‘over’, stoking volatility in markets already frazzled by the coronavirus pandemic.

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro said on Monday the US trade deal with China “continues in place”, walking back on his earlier remarks that the pact was ‘over’, stoking volatility in markets already frazzled by the coronavirus pandemic.

Navarro said his comments were taken “wildly out of context”, while US President Donald Trump confirmed in a tweet the deal with the China was “fully intact”.

“Hopefully they will continue to live up to the terms of the agreement,” Trump said on Twitter.

Earlier, Navarro told Fox News “it’s over” in an interview when asked about the trade agreement.

He said the “turning point” came when the US learned about the spreading coronavirus only after a Chinese delegation had left Washington following the signing of the Phase 1 deal on 15 January.

“It was at a time when they had already sent hundreds of thousands of people to this country to spread that virus, and it was just minutes after wheels up when that plane took off that we began to hear about this pandemic,” Navarro said.

Financial markets were choppy, with US stock futures initially turning negative and risk-sensitive currencies including the Australian dollar falling.

They have since recovered much of the lost ground after Navarro, one of the most outspoken critics of China among Trump’s senior advisers, issued a statement saying his comments “have been taken wildly out of context”.

“They had nothing at all to do with the Phase I trade deal, which continues in place. I was simply speaking to the lack of trust we now have of the Chinese Communist Party after they lied about the origins of the China virus and foisted a pandemic upon the world,” he said.

Read more

Donald Trump is creeping towards a shrewd sanctions policy

Donald Trump holding a red TRUMP 2028 hat, wearing a tuxedo with an American flag in the background

The US-China trade negotiations lasted more than two years, heaped tariffs on $370bn of Chinese products, whipsawed financial markets and dented global growth well before the coronavirus outbreak triggered a worldwide recession.

US-China relations have reached their lowest point in years since the coronavirus pandemic that began in China hit the United States hard.

Trump and his administration repeatedly have accused Beijing of not being transparent about the outbreak.

Trump on Thursday renewed his threat to cut ties with China, a day after his top diplomats held talks with Beijing and his trade representative said he did not consider decoupling the US and Chinese economies a viable option.

Under the Phase 1 trade deal, China had pledged to boost purchases of US goods by $200bn over two years.

But disruptions wrought by the pandemic saw US goods exports to China fall in the first quarter, providing a further challenge to the Trump administration less than five months out from the presidential election.

“We had expected US-China tensions to escalate in the second half of this year in the run-up to the US elections,” said Vasu Menon, senior investment strategist, at OCBC Bank Wealth Management in Singapore.

“China hawks … like Navarro could gain the upper hand and egg (Trump) on to take action against China. So expect markets to be very bumpy in second half of this year because of the double whammy from COVID-19 and US-China tensions.”

Read more

As It Happened: Stocks dip as oil’s ‘slowing demand’ in focus; Iran threatens to extend war

People on a beach with cargo ships and a small boat in the Strait of Hormuz

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Markets & Economics
  • News

Categories

  • Markets
  • Politics

Related Topics

  • Donald Trump

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Donald Trump is creeping towards a shrewd sanctions policy

    Opinion
    Donald Trump holding a red TRUMP 2028 hat, wearing a tuxedo with an American flag in the background
  • As It Happened: Stocks dip as oil’s ‘slowing demand’ in focus; Iran threatens to extend war

    FTSE 100 Live
    People on a beach with cargo ships and a small boat in the Strait of Hormuz
  • As it happened: Stocks rise despite new tensions in Strait of Hormuz; Oil price climbs

    FTSE 100 Live
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 mixed; oil breaks $91 as Trump rules out new US-Iran ceasefire

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking emphatically at a podium, wearing a navy suit and blue tie, with a microphone and lights visible.
  • Brompton Bicycle sues former adviser for ‘professional negligence’

    Lawsuit
    Six Brompton folding bicycles in various colors displayed in individual black cubbies.
  • As it happened: UK stocks cool after Astrazeneca drags; Trump and Iran clash over peace talks

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking at a desk, gesturing with hands, wearing a dark suit and red tie.
  • As it happened: Stocks fall into red as oil fluctuates over Middle East developments

    FTSE 100 Live
    Large oil tanker navigating a strait under a cloudy sky, impacting oil prices and global trade.
  • Trump suspends strikes amid new peace hopes

    Politics
    Donald Trump speaking at press conference podium, addressing media with serious expression, American flags in background
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook