Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
-0.42%
CAC 40
8,453.09
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
-0.35%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 21 June 2019 8:20 am

Trump ‘cancels military strike on Iran’ at the last minute

By: Joe Curtis

Add as a preferred source on Google
Donald Trump called off military strikes against Iran at the last minute according to the New York Times
Donald Trump called off military strikes against Iran at the last minute according to the New York Times

President Donald Trump had given the go-ahead for a wave of retaliatory strikes against Iran yesterday before opting to cancel the attack, according to reports.

Read more: Iran made ‘a very big mistake’, tweets Trump

Trump had planned strikes against a “handful” of targets, according to the New York Times, but cancelled the operation in its early stages.

The White House has not yet responded.

The attacks would have seen the US retaliate after Iran shot down a US drone earlier this week.

Iran said the drone entered Iranian airspace early yesterday morning, but the US said the drone was in international airspace.

As late as 7pm in Washington (11pm BST), White House officials were still expecting strikes on a set of Iranian targets such as radar and missile batteries, according to the New York Times.

But “word came to stand down” as planes were in the air and ships in position, the publication reported.

The strikes were due to take place just before dawn this morning to minimise risks to Iranian military or civilians.

Read more

Strait of Hormuz ‘closed’ as Iran and US exchange strikes

Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.

The Pentagon recommended strikes, according to the Associated Press.

But Trump cancelled the operations after discussions with national security advisers and congressional leaders.

Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer said: “The President may not intend to go to war here, but we’re worried that he and the administration may bumble into a war.”

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and national security adviser John Bolton had urged Trump to take a tough response but others pressed for a more careful response.

Tensions are escalating between the two countries.

Trump pulled the US out of a 2015 nuclear agreement designed to limit Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

Read more: Oil prices surge after Iran downs US drone

Iran has subsequently announced that it is set to exceed international agreed limits on its nuclear programme.

Meanwhile the US recently pointed the finger at Iran for attacks on two oil tankers.

Read more

Trump suspends strikes amid new peace hopes

Donald Trump speaking at press conference podium, addressing media with serious expression, American flags in background

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

Related Topics

  • International

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

More from Morning Wire

  • Strait of Hormuz ‘closed’ as Iran and US exchange strikes

    Economics
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • Trump suspends strikes amid new peace hopes

    Politics
    Donald Trump speaking at press conference podium, addressing media with serious expression, American flags in background
  • Trump warns Iran: ‘We’re going to beat the f***ing s*** out of them’

    Politics
    Donald Trump speaking at press conference podium, addressing media with serious expression, American flags in background
  • As it happened: Stocks rise; oil falls after Trump pauses Iran strikes

    Markets
    Donald Trump holding a red TRUMP 2028 hat, wearing a tuxedo with an American flag in the background
  • As it happened: Stocks rally after US jobs report; Oil tumbles to pre-Iran war levels

    Markets
    The UK could enjoy a 50 per cent production boost without breaking its net-zero pledges
  • Oil price falls but Trump and Iran clash on negotiations claim

    Markets
    Donald Trump smiling in a blue suit and tie with an American flag pin, US flag in background
  • As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

    Markets
    Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.
  • As it happened: Stocks fall as oil creeps up; Trump to ‘finish job’ in Iran

    Markets
    Donald Trump speaking at the PAAP office conference, addressing key political issues and strategies in a formal setting.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook