Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 19 November 2019 10:06 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 19 November 2019 4:40 pm

TSB IT meltdown: Former and current bosses criticise damning probe into online outages

By: Sebastian McCarthy

Add as a preferred source on Google
TSB

Past and present TSB bosses have criticised parts of a damning independent probe into the bank’s catastrophic IT meltdown last year.

City law firm Slaughter and May has concluded that TSB’s board lacked “common sense” in the run-up to an IT outage which left 2m TSB customers without access to online banking.

Both TSB and IT provider Sabis were blamed for the outage by Slaughter and May, which said that a new system which its customers were moved on to had not been properly tested before going live.

Read more: Can central bankers fight the next downturn?

However, the findings have been met with mixed reaction from former and current executives of the bank, with ex-chief executive Paul Pester hitting out at Slaughter and May’s “scattergun approach”.

Pester, who lost his job over the IT fiasco last year, said that the report was “a complex and confused read which casts very little light on lessons the industry could learn to stop something like this happening again.”

TSB’s executive chairman Richard Meddings, who apologised this morning for the outage, said that some of Slaughter and May’s conclusions “do not paint a full picture” or “arrive at the same conclusion as other reports”.

The 250-page report found that the IT meltdown was in large part caused by elements of two data being centres built to support a new platform were, in certain aspects, configured inconsistently.

Read more

Monzo faces outage as thousands of users unable to make payments or transfers

UK fintech Monzo is ramping up its lifestyle reach.

Slaughter and May concluded that the firm’s head of IT, Carlos Abarca, made an “ill-judged” assessment of TSB’s preparedness ahead of its systems launch.

Sabis, the IT services arm of TSB’s Spanish owner Sabadell, “was not ready to operate the new platform”, the group also said.

Read more: The four types of business philosopher

“The key cause was that elements of two data centres built to support the platform were built inconsistently,” said Meddings.

Pester also hit out at Sabis, saying: “The report states that Sabis cut corners with critical testing of TSB’s new system before it went live.

“If these findings are right, Sabis rolled the dice by running tests on only one of TSB’s two new data centres and this decision was kept from me and the rest of the TSB board.”

More to follow.

Read more

Hargreaves Lansdown orders staff back to office

Hargreaves Lansdown financial services office exterior with company logo prominently displayed on modern building façade

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Banking

Trending Articles

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Monzo faces outage as thousands of users unable to make payments or transfers

    Fintech
    UK fintech Monzo is ramping up its lifestyle reach.
  • Hargreaves Lansdown orders staff back to office

    Investing
    Hargreaves Lansdown financial services office exterior with company logo prominently displayed on modern building façade
  • 22 months of cuts: Jobs crisis deepens despite growth boost 

    Economics
    London has defied national trends as job postings in the capital rose.
  • Trainline and Virgin Atlantic face watchdog’s ‘drip pricing’ probe

    Transport & Infrastructure
    A ruling by the UK ad watchdog has raised questions over Virgin Atlantic's "groundbreaking" biofuel-powered flight across the Atlantic last November.
  • Reform’s Richard Tice under parliamentary investigation

    Politics
    Reform UK leader Nigel Farage and Deputy Leader Richard Tice are set to meet with Andrew Bailey to discuss interest rates and stablecoins.
  • Big bank bosses on alert as tax noise gets louder under Burnham

    Banking
    Two men, one in a white shirt and red tie, the other in a navy jacket, conversing outdoors.
  • Heineken-owned pubs group faces probe over eviction threat

    Hospitality
    Hand holding a 4-pack of green Heineken beer cans with red stars and white lettering
  • Starling plans to ‘come out swinging’ in diversification bid

    Fintech
    Smiling woman, potentially Starling CEO, over city skyline with STARLING branding
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook