Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 05 January 2024 10:11 am  |  Updated:  Friday 05 January 2024 10:47 am

Tube strikes start today: Bosses warned they must stand up to unions

By: Guy Taylor

Transport Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Tube And Bus Worker Strike Disrupts TfL Service Across London
Londoners wait for the bus as tube strikes bring the capital to a standstill, Next week, London’s Tube will be effectively shut down as union members from the RMT and Unite leave their posts. (Photo by Chris J Ratcliffe/Getty Images)

Tube strikes will start today as workers begin seven days of industrial action, which is expected to cause significant disruption across the London Underground and the wider Transport for London (TfL) network.

Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union, representing around 10,000 TfL staff, are set to walk out between January 5 and 12 as part of an ongoing feud with the operator, which began in March last year.

It comes after the RMT rejected a proposed pay increase of five per cent from TfL in December, joining a string of major unions that represent workers across the London Underground system.

The Unite union are looking for a pay rise of 6.1 per cent, while the Transport Salaried Staffs’ Association (TSSA) reportedly rejected a five per cent increase for the current financial year.

The train drivers’ union Aslef has, however, accepted a five per cent pay offer for its Tube drivers in the capital, the first union to reach an acceptable deal with TfL.

The RMT is infuriated at TfL bosses for freezing pay bands, warning it will create a “two-tier workforce.” It is also calling for improved travel facilities for Tube workers.

“Our members have made it clear that they are prepared to take action and we urge TfL to improve their offer to avert disruption in the capital,” General Secretary Mick Lynch said in December.

When do the tube strikes start?

Different RMT workers, which include engineers and signalling staff, will leave their posts on separate days throughout the seven-day period.

The most significant disruption will occur when all RMT staff strike on the 8th and 10th.

TfL warned yesterday there will be little or no service between the evening of Sunday 7 and the morning of Friday 12. It said passengers using the London Underground should “only travel if their journey is essential” on those days.

The DLR, bus services and the Overground are also likely to be busier than usual throughout the week and TfL have encouraged commuters to check their website ahead of travel.

  • Friday 5 and Saturday 6 January: 24 hours of industrial action from engineers and maintenance workers, beginning at 6pm on Friday evening.
  • Sunday 7 and Monday 8 January: Strikes from RMT members in London Underground Limited (LUL)’s network control functions on Sunday, joined by walk outs from all RMT union employees on Monday.
  • Tuesday 9 January: Strikes from RMT workers in the Tube’s signalling and service control functions.
  • Wednesday 10 January: All RMT union employees will walk out.
  • Thursday 11 January: Strikes from RMT workers in the Tube’s signalling and service control functions.

The industrial action will not affect services on the Elizabeth Line, whose workers are represented by the TSSA.

TfL bosses have reassured passengers that Tube lines in North London serving the Emirates Stadium for Arsenal and Liverpool’s Sunday FA cup tie will “try to remain open longer.”

Campaigners urge bosses to stand up to the unions

With tube strikes starting this evening, campaigners have urged bosses to stand up to trade union leaders, citing the economic impact strikes will have in the new year restart.

Read more

TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background

This comes after fresh research commissioned by London HQ, the collective of four central London Business Improvement Districts (BIDs), showed one in five workers are choosing to stay at home over travelling into the office because of the strikes.

A census of 2,000 London-wide workers showed a fifth were not going to brave alternative transport, with the cost of travel, childcare and going out after work.

This comes after businesses have urged, and in some cases mandated their staff to return to the office after the pandemic, while some workers have looked for more flexible options, even if it means a pay cut.

Ruth Duston, chief executive of London Heritage Quarter said: “Despite there being a clear appetite for a more regular return to the office from both employers and employees, the impact of these strikes are clearly preventing workers from commuting in.”

Darwin Friend, research director of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said: “Londoners will be seething at a week of severe commuter disruption.

“With TfL overseeing an already bloated pay-bill, hard-pressed taxpayers are bound to wonder how unions can justify this strike.

Transport bosses must stand up to unions and deliver a transit system that works, not one that constantly walks out.”

Will the tube strikes be called off?

The New Year strikes are the latest in an ongoing feud, which began in March 2022. The RMT first voted to walk out amid fears of over 600 job losses across the network’s station posts, following up with six separate strikes over the first year.

But more recent planned industrial action has so far been averted. Last-minute deals in both July and October managed to save key jobs and prevent planned changes to work rosters, key elements of the dispute.

A late deal is not off the cards this time. The RMT yesterday called on Sadiq Khan and TfL to enter unconditional talks hosted by the conciliation service ACAS to avert the industrial action.

“Our members have made it clear that they are prepared to take action and we urge TfL to enter into meaningful conciliatory talks to avert disruption in the capital,” Mick Lynch said in a statement.

Khan is under pressure to keep the Tube network running after pledging in his leadership campaign that there would be zero strikes during his tenure. Some 135 have been staged across the TfL network since he took the role.

London businesses, particularly hospitality, have faced multi-million-pound writedowns as a result of industrial action across Britain’s rail network. Before the last planned week of walk-outs were averted, the Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) forecast a £62.5m hit to the capital’s economy.

Significant progress has been made in the separate national dispute over recent months. A pay deal between the government and the RMT has ensured there will be no industrial action until spring next year, although ASLEF has yet to reach such an agreement.

Read more

Which is the smelliest Tube line?

Passenger wearing a blue surgical mask and coat on a London Underground train.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Morning Wire Content
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

    Tech
    Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background
  • Which is the smelliest Tube line?

    Opinion
    Passenger wearing a blue surgical mask and coat on a London Underground train.
  • Doctors union tops up £1m reserve pot for strikes

    Healthcare
    GettyImages 2246649047: Business professionals discussing strategy at a conference table, highlighting teamwork and collab...
  • Burnham’s devolution drive could ‘push 90,000 jobs out of London’

    Economics
    In 2022, rolling Tube strikes led to massive queues for crowded buses. (Photo by Chris J Ratcliffe/Getty Images)
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
  • OKX Card Usage Surges Across Europe as Crypto Moves Into Everyday Spending

    Business Wire
  • Paramount-Warner Bros deal faces ‘sufficient competition’, says CMA

    Media
    Paramount, Netflix, Warner logos; media giants intensifying streaming competition and strategic industry shifts
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook