Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,760.09
+0.09%
DAX
26,419.90
-0.08%
CAC 40
8,624.87
-0.14%
STOXX 50
6,552.46
+0.20%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 19 March 2021 11:50 am  |  Updated:  Friday 19 March 2021 12:14 pm

UK in talks with Elon Musk’s Starlink over broadband rollout

By: James Warrington

Add as a preferred source on Google
Elon Musk Awarded With Axel Springer Award In Berlin
Musk has previously said that his Starlink venture will be key to eventually colonising Mars.

The government is in talks with Elon Musk’s Starlink over using satellites to help roll out full-fibre broadband in the most remote parts of the UK.

Ministers today confirmed the launch of a £5bn plan to bring high-speed internet connections to properties across the country in the coming years.

The government had originally set the target of reaching all homes by 2025, but has since watered this pledge down to 85 per cent.

Officials are still weighing up options on how to reach the most remote rural areas such as the Scottish Highlands that are too difficult or expensive to reach through cable networks.

Discussions are now underway with Musk’s satellite internet firm Starlink, as well as British rival Oneweb, about using its network to beam internet services into difficult to reach areas.

BT, which is leading the rollout, is already in discussions with Oneweb over the plans.

Other possibilities are said to include “high-altitude platforms” such as balloons and drones, the Sun reported.

“This is part of our national mission to get everyone in the UK the fastest broadband on the planet, and we are making huge progress on that,” culture secretary Oliver Dowden told the BBC’s Today programme.

“But there are some challenges, so we are announcing subsidised gigabit broadband for some areas and in the very, very remote areas where even that won’t work we are looking at more innovative solutions. like satellite technology.”

Today the first areas targeted in its so-called Project Gigabit plans, which have formed a key part of the government’s levelling up agenda, were revealed.

Up to 510,000 homes and businesses in Cambridgeshire, Cornwall, Cumbria, Dorset, Durham, Essex, Northumberland, South Tyneside and Tees Valley will be the first to benefit.

It comes after BT’s rollout plans were given a major boost by regulator Ofcom, which ruled the telecoms giant’s wholesale full-fibre services will be free from price caps for at least a decade.

Read more

BT braces for loss of 800,000 customers as it banks on fibre to keep turnaround ‘on track’

A sign at the headquarters building of BT Group Plc in Aldgate, (Photographer: Hollie Adams/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Tech

Related Topics

  • Elon Musk

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

More from Morning Wire

  • BT braces for loss of 800,000 customers as it banks on fibre to keep turnaround ‘on track’

    Telecoms
    A sign at the headquarters building of BT Group Plc in Aldgate, (Photographer: Hollie Adams/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
  • BT Openreach told to pull ‘unfair’ broadband discount

    Telecoms
    A sign at the headquarters building of BT Group Plc in Aldgate, (Photographer: Hollie Adams/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
  • The PlayStation Portal 2026 review: Japanese innovation, hampered by UK infrastructure 

    Life&Style
    PlayStation Portal handheld device showcasing sleek design and advanced gaming features against a modern backdrop.
  • Here’s the right way to criticise the media

    Opinion
    Elon Musk and a woman in blue blazer seated with microphones, golden car in background
  • Triumph for Tesla as top court rules 5G licensing case should be heard in UK

    Lawsuit
    Tech billionaire Elon Musk has been asked to serve in Donald Trump’s cabinet. (Photo by Apu Gomes/Getty Images)
  • ChatGPT to follow Claude’s watermark pledge – but Grok to swerve it

    Tech
    Grok product interface showcasing advanced AI features for efficient data analysis on a sleek digital dashboard
  • Will AI trigger the end of net neutrality?

    Tech
    Close-up of vibrant fibre optic cables with glowing blue and green lights, symbolizing fast internet connectivity and data...
  • As it happened: Stocks jump as oil drops; Unilever shares soar on decade-best sales

    Markets
    Unilever owns brands ranging from Ben and Jerry's to Dove
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook