Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 19 April 2021 1:42 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 19 April 2021 2:06 pm

UK launches national security review into Nvidia’s $40bn Arm takeover

By: James Warrington

Add as a preferred source on Google
Graphics Chip Maker Nvidia Reports Quarterly Earnings
Nvidia

The UK has launched a review into Nvidia’s planned $40bn (£30bn) takeover of British chipmaker Arm amid concerns it could harm national security.

Digital secretary Oliver Dowden today issued a public interest intervention notice (PIIN) relating to the proposed deal.

Cambridge-based Arm is one of the world’s leading semiconductor companies. Chips are key to technologies such as artificial intelligence and 5G, and also underpin critical infrastructure and are found in defence and security-related networks.

Dowden has written to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) and instructed it to launch a phase one investigation.

The watchdog will now prepare a report on jurisdictional and competition issues and will also summarise any views it receives relating to national security worries.

The government will launch a separate review to examine the national security public interests.

“Following careful consideration of the proposed takeover of Arm, I have today issued an intervention notice on national security grounds,” Dowden said in a statement.

“As a next step and to help me gather the relevant information, the UK’s independent competition authority will now prepare a report on the implications of the transaction, which will help inform any further decisions.

“We want to support our thriving UK tech industry and welcome foreign investment, but it is appropriate that we properly consider the national security implications of a transaction like this.” 

A Nvidia spokesperson said: “We do not believe that this transaction poses any material national security issues.

“We will continue to work closely with the British authorities, as we have done since the announcement of this deal.”

Read more

Easyjet extends window for another Castlelake bid

EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.

Arm has been contacted for comment.

‘Selling the crown jewels’

The CMA had previously announced plans to launch a regular competition probe into the deal but is yet to start work on the case. It now has until the end of July to submit its report to the government.

Following the initial investigation, the digital secretary will decide whether to clear the transaction or require undertakings by the companies to remedy concerns.

Alternatively, he can refer the deal to an in-depth investigation for further scrutiny.

The government has issued several notices of this nature in the past, including over the £4.7bn takeover of Inmarsat in 2019.

It follows a fierce backlash over the takeover of Arm, with critics including Google and Microsoft pointing to potential competition concerns.

The proposed deal has sparked fears that Nvidia could block its rivals’ access to Arm’s intellectual property.

Nvidia has said it will retain Arm’s neutral licensing model and has pledged to keep the company headquartered in the UK. But Arm co-founder Hermann Hauser described it as a “disaster” for the UK.

Aside from competition concerns, opponents of the deal have raised concerns about the sale of British tech assets to foreign buyers.

Former business secretary Lord Peter Mandelson in October accused ministers of “waving the Union Jack while selling off the crown jewels”.

The transaction is also facing an in-depth investigation by the US Federal Trade Commission.

Read more

Cavendish taps top adviser to fend off foreign takeover interest

St Pauls Cathedral in London, framed by modern glass buildings under a clear sky, near Cavendishs base

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Tech

Related Topics

  • ARM Holdings

Trending Articles

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Easyjet extends window for another Castlelake bid

    Aviation
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • Cavendish taps top adviser to fend off foreign takeover interest

    Advisory
    St Pauls Cathedral in London, framed by modern glass buildings under a clear sky, near Cavendishs base
  • Apollo snaps up Easyjet after Castlelake walks away

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • City trading ‘higher than thought’, FCA believes

    Markets
    GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
  • Exclusive: Easyjet shareholder rights to be watered down under Apollo deal

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Point2 Completes $136M Series B Funding with Arm, LB Investment, and Maverick Silicon

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook