Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 14 December 2022 1:05 pm  |  Updated:  Wednesday 21 December 2022 3:23 pm

UK supporting family of British man ‘bludgeoned’ to death on oil rig in Qatar

By: Jack Mendel

Add as a preferred source on Google
Robbie Robson and his partner Kristie Graham

A British has been was killed on an oil rig in Qatar, the foreign office has confirmed, with police investigating it as a murder.

Qatari police opened a murder investigation after a Scottish worker for the France-based company Stapem Offshore.

He was later named as 38-year-old Robert Robson, of Tyne and Wear.

His family issued a statement saying he was a an amazing, one-of-a-kind, beautiful soul.

“He was a loving partner, dad, son, brother and uncle who was tragically taken too soon.

“He was an irreplaceable friend to many, and Robbie will be sorely missed by everyone that knew him.

“As a family, we request privacy at this time.”

He reportedly died after an altercation, with the Times reporting he had been “bludgeoned” to death. It said he was killed by a colleague and wrapped in a bed sheet.

His death was confirmed this morning by the foreign office, with colleagues saying all men involved in the incident were Scottish. 

An FCDO spokesperson said: “We are supporting the family of a British man who has died and a man who has been injured in Qatar and are in contact with the local authorities.”

According to the Times, another worker said there had been a murder and attempted murder.

In a statement to Morning Wire “Film-Ocean Ltd can regretfully confirm one person has been fatally wounded and another has been injured following a non-work related incident on an offshore installation off Qatar.”

“A third person has been taken into police custody and is assisting Qatari authorities with their inquiries.”

“The injured worker received treatment in hospital in Qatar, but has since been released. The next of kin of those involved have been informed, and the company is working to ensure they receive the appropriate support.”

“All three personnel were contracted to Film-Ocean and were working on the platform at the time of the incident, which was reported around 0140hrs Arabia Standard Time on Monday, December 12.”

“Film-Ocean is liaising with the Foreign and Commonwealth and Development Office, as well as other stakeholders, to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.”

“The company will be making no further statement at this time, and the families of those involved have requested that their privacy is respected.”

Read more

Where heritage meets diplomacy: The Qatar Goodwood Festival and the UK–Middle East partnership

Horses and jockeys racing past a grandstand packed with spectators at the Qatar Goodwood Festival under a blue sky

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Media

Related Topics

  • Deaths in 2022
  • Qatar 2022 World Cup

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Where heritage meets diplomacy: The Qatar Goodwood Festival and the UK–Middle East partnership

    Partner
    Horses and jockeys racing past a grandstand packed with spectators at the Qatar Goodwood Festival under a blue sky
  • Qatar Racing takes over sponsorship of £4.4m British Champions Day

    Sport Business
    Jockey in orange and blue silks on a brown racehorse galloping on a green track, another horse slightly behind.
  • As it happened: Stocks fall into red as oil fluctuates over Middle East developments

    FTSE 100 Live
    Large oil tanker navigating a strait under a cloudy sky, impacting oil prices and global trade.
  • India’s £300m Commonwealth Games dress rehearsal for 2036 Olympics

    Sport Business
    Indian athlete in blue tracksuit receives a white scroll from a woman in a green traditional dress, flanked by two men in ...
  • Mexico breaks ranks and dents Uefa-led bid to oust embattled Fifa kingpin Infantino

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, smiling as golden confetti falls around him
  • Fifa crisis: Europe, North America and Asia unite to call for Infantino to quit

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, raising both hands, wearing a suit with a World Cup pin.
  • As it happened: UK stocks cool after Astrazeneca drags; Trump and Iran clash over peace talks

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking at a desk, gesturing with hands, wearing a dark suit and red tie.
  • The Simon Levy case proves some criminals can never be rehabilitated

    Opinion
    Simon Levy, a man with dark hair and a beard, looking directly at the camera.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook