Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
-0.42%
CAC 40
8,453.09
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
-0.35%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 05 November 2025 5:00 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 04 November 2025 4:51 pm

UK telecom giants sign new pact to block scam calls as AI drives fraud

By: Saskia Koopman

Tech Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Roughly three-quarters of UK scams start online. (Photo by Artur Widak/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
Roughly three-quarters of UK scams start online. (Photo by Artur Widak/NurPhoto

Britain’s biggest mobile networks have agreed to overhaul their systems to stop scammers using fake numbers to impersonate banks and government departments.

As ministers seek to stem the growing tide of AI-driven fraud, BT, EE, Vodafone, Three, Virgin Media O2, Sky, TalkTalk and Tesco Mobile have signed a new telecoms charter with the Home Office.

Together, the group has committed to blocking foreign call centres from spoofing UK numbers within the next year and to rolling out new call tracing tools to help police identify scam operations.

The agreement, signed at the BT Tower, comes as the scale of fraud continues to climb.

Figures from UK Finance show that criminals stole more than £629m in the first half of 2025, up three per cent on the same period last year, across more than two million reported cases

Investment and romance scams recorded the sharpest increases, with losses of nearly £100m and £20m, respectively.

Networks under pressure over rising scams

Under these new measures, calls from overseas will be clearly marked as such, stopping bad actors from disguising themselves behind local or official-looking numbers.

Approximately 96 per cent of mobile users decide whether to answer based on the number displayed, according to government data.

New call tracing technology will also provide police with better intelligence on domestic scam operations. Meanwhile, mobile firms have pledged faster support for victims, reducing response times to two weeks.

Fraud minister Lord Hanson said the reforms would “strip away the tools scammers use to cheat people out of their hard-earned cash,” adding that the government wanted to make the UK “the hardest place in the world for scammers to operate.”

The Home Office stated that the commitments would also enhance data sharing between networks and law enforcement, enabling regulators to identify which providers are failing to prevent suspicious traffic.

AI detection and rising threats

The measures come amid a surge in AI-enabled scams.

Criminals are increasingly using AI to clone voices, generate deepfake videos and scale up fraudulent calls and messages.

Read more

Fourthline and Veridas Join Forces to Fight Identity Fraud with a Global Identity Platform

A recent survey by scam detection firm Hiya found that one in four UK consumers received a deepfake voice call in the past year, with the average loss among victims who were tricked topping £13,000.

Virgin Media O2 announced this month that it had blocked one billion fake texts so far this year, while BT stated that its network now prevents around three million scam calls every day through automated screening systems.

Claire Gillies, chief executive of BT’s consumer division, said the new charter was “an important and timely intervention” that would help the sector “collaborate at pace to protect the nation from this growing crime.”

Vodafone and Three said the initiative would “strengthen how we work across the industry and with the government to stay one step ahead of criminals.”

Industry and government share responsibility

Executives from across the telecoms sector stressed that the scale of the challenge required a joint effort.

Brian Webb, chair of the Communications Crime Strategy Group at BT, said: “Fraud is a threat to us all, and so we must all act to tackle it. The actions we’ve agreed will deliver real change – from expanding trusted data sharing to using artificial intelligence responsibly.”

Virgin Media O2’s fraud director, Murray Mackenzie, added that the company has blocked over a billion scam texts and flags 50 million scam calls every month, but noted that “no industry alone can completely prevent fraud.”

The government’s new charter builds on cooperation with the US to sanction overseas scam networks and follows earlier steps in the ‘plan for change’ to unite telecoms and banking sectors against fraud.

But experts have warned that technology upgrades alone will not solve the problem.

UK Finance stated that AI was enabling criminals to “enhance tried and tested tactics more quickly, at a greater scale, in different languages and to greater effect.”

As the use of deepfakes and cloned voices grows, both government and industry face a race to keep defences ahead of the scammers’ next move.

Read more

Accertify and Liminal Release First Empirical Study Proving Fraud-Cyber Convergence Works – and Defining How to Do It Right

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Tech

People & Organisations

  • AI
  • BT
  • fraud
  • fraud minister
  • home office
  • mobile network
  • Scam
  • scam call
  • TalkTalk
  • Telecomms
  • Tesco Mobile
  • Three
  • Virgin Media 02
  • Vodafone

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • Fourthline and Veridas Join Forces to Fight Identity Fraud with a Global Identity Platform

    Business Wire
  • Accertify and Liminal Release First Empirical Study Proving Fraud-Cyber Convergence Works – and Defining How to Do It Right

    Business Wire
  • Natwest boss becomes latest City figure caught in AI social media scam

    Banking
    NatWest building exterior with logo, highlighting corporate presence and architecture on a business news website.
  • It’s not just Jason Arday, most of sociology is a scam

    Opinion
    Jason Arday smiling, wearing academic regalia with a blue cap and gown with red accents.
  • BT braces for loss of 800,000 customers as it banks on fibre to keep turnaround ‘on track’

    Telecoms
    A sign at the headquarters building of BT Group Plc in Aldgate, (Photographer: Hollie Adams/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
  • AI minister: UK sets sights on global AI leadership, not Silicon Valley emulation

    Tech
    Kanishka Narayan, prominent figure in the news, engaging in a public event or discussion, showcasing leadership and influe...
  • Even Claude says AI watermarking is no ‘silver bullet’

    AI
    Claude AI interface showcasing advanced features in a business setting
  • FCA eyes tougher AI rules as Brits turn to chatbots for financial advice

    AI
    An all-party parliamentary group said on Tuesday that the FCA's treatment of both internal and external whistleblowers was “alarming”.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook