Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 13 September 2023 6:00 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 12 September 2023 7:04 pm

UK vape ban slammed as ‘own goal’ for the government

By: Jess Jones

TMT Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Jeremy Hunt is expected to announce a new tax on vaping products at next week’s Budget.
Jeremy Hunt is expected to announce a new tax on vaping products at next week’s Budget.

Industry groups have slammed a looming government plan to ban disposable vapes, warning it is a threat to public health.

Health ministers are set to announce a ban on disposable vapes in response to growing concerns that the brightly coloured and heavily flavoured devices are enticing those under 18.

The decision is expected to be unveiled in a health department consultation as soon as next week, according to a report by The Telegraph.

While the move aims to curb youth addiction, it stops short of Australia’s outright vaping ban, accepting the benefits of e-cigarettes for smokers seeking to quit.

But some say the single-use ban is still a backwards step in Britain’s health goals.

Simon Clark, director of smokers lobbying group Forest, said it is a “significant own goal” for the government.

“Vaping has been a huge success story, with millions of smokers choosing to switch to a product that is far less risky to their health. Part of that success is due to disposable vapes which are convenient and easy to use.

“The answer to the problem of children vaping is not to ban a product many adults use to help them quit smoking, but to crack down on retailers who are breaking the law and selling e-cigarettes to anyone under 18,” he explained.

Maxwell Marlow, director of research at right wing think tank the Adam Smith Institute, agreed, saying that, if the ban is successful, the government “can kiss goodbye to Smoke Free 2030”.

“Banning these vapes will have the opposite effect to the one the department desires, fuelling the black market economy and making enforcement more difficult,” Marlow said.

The ban could also be bad news for tobacco companies relying on vapes to puff up falling sales as younger generations increasingly shun tobacco.

Read more

Row erupts over Tory plan to stop Soho pub goers standing up 

Bustling Soho street scene with vibrant storefronts, diverse pedestrians, and iconic London architecture under clear skies

A spokesperson from British tobacco company Imperial Brands, which also sell vaping products, said: “Rather than prohibition, we believe that government, industry, and enforcement authorities must work together to create a regulatory framework which supports the role vapes can play in helping adult smokers quit and, at the same time, prevents the appeal and access of products to youth.

“An integrated, multi-pronged approach is needed to drive out irresponsible actors and improve trust in this important product category.”

Last year, the chief growth officer at British American Tobacco (BAT) said the UK must move away from the “quit or die” approach to smoking and invest more in less harmful alternatives like vaping.

Although environmental groups might be happy with the plans to ditch the plastic vapes, often seen strewn across streets, online vaping shop The Electronic Cigarette Company (TECC) said they are a “gateway” for more sustainable models.

TECC admit disposable vapes can have negative effects on the environment if not recycled but said there is “growing evidence” to suggest adult smokers switch to rechargeable vapes soon after trying out single-use versions.

In May, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said a new government crackdown on vape marketing will prevent the “unacceptable” targeting of children and young people.

It came amid concerns over the proportion of children trying e-cigarettes, with ministers citing NHS figures from 2021 that showed nine per cent of 11-15 year olds used e-cigarettes, up from six per cent in 2018.

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: “We are concerned about the rise in youth vaping and the environmental impacts of disposable vapes.

“That is why we launched a call for evidence to identify opportunities to reduce the number of children accessing and using vaping products – and explore where the government can go further.

“We will set out our response in due course.”

Read more

Government to inject millions into electric vehicle firms despite mandate backlash

Car bodies on an assembly line in a UK car plant, showcasing EV manufacturing process

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Row erupts over Tory plan to stop Soho pub goers standing up 

    Hospitality
    Bustling Soho street scene with vibrant storefronts, diverse pedestrians, and iconic London architecture under clear skies
  • Government to inject millions into electric vehicle firms despite mandate backlash

    Politics
    Car bodies on an assembly line in a UK car plant, showcasing EV manufacturing process
  • I built my career on social media as a teen. I still think banning under-16s is right

    Opinion
    Smartphone screen displaying a folder of social media app icons including Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and YouTube.
  • Meta glasses court ban sparks privacy warning for City businesses

    Legal
    Mark Zuckerberg smiling while adjusting smart glasses on his face, wearing a black shirt and two wristbands
  • EV targets set to be watered down

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Car bodies on an assembly line in a UK car plant, showcasing EV manufacturing process
  • Burnham takes on ‘rip-off’ discounts and subscriptions in cost of living push

    Politics
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, in a suit and glasses, looking serious against a bright sky.
  • Banning vape shops won’t fix scuzzy high streets

    Opinion
    High street vape shop Ecigwizard next to Costa Coffee and Subway, with people walking and sitting outside.
  • Retailers hit back at Healey’s ‘profiteering’ threat

    Retail
    Chancellor John Healey smiling, wearing a navy suit, white shirt, and red tie.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook