Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Morning Wire’s journalism is supported by our readers. .
Monday 08 June 2015 10:01 am

The UK’s first national steel strike in 30 years could happen this month after Unite schedules Tata Steel action for June 22

By: Catherine Neilan

Add as a preferred source on Google

The UK is facing its first national steel strike for 30 years, after union members voted for action against Tata Steel. 
 
Unite the union announced today the strike – agreed last week – would go ahead on June 22. 
 
It is part of an ongoing dispute over pensions, with the manufacturer telling workers they will have to retire at 65 to receive their pension, rather than 60. 
 
Unite has claimed the proposals will effectively make its members “work until you drop”. 
 
Along with steel unions Community, GMB and Ucatt more than 17,000 steel workers at the company are unionised. 
 
Last Friday Tata released an open letter to employees explaining that the pension scheme had a shortfall of more than £2bn, adding that Tata's UK operations were losing money.  It said the strike vote was “very disappointing”. 
 
Unite national officer for steel Paul Reuter said: “Our members have made it clear that they are not prepared to have their contracts with their futures torn up in front of their eyes.
 
“We have offered Tata Steel UK the savings it says it needs. Instead the company is hell bent on making people who work in a physically demanding environment graft unnecessarily for a further five years to get their full pension.
 
“Tata Steel UK’s plans will financially penalise workers and rob them of their retirement they are working so hard for.
 
“We would urge Tata to reflect on the anger demonstrated by the ballot result and avoid the possibility of the first national industrial action in the industry for 30 years by entering into further meaningful talks.”
 
Roy Rickhuss, chair of the National Trade Union Steel Co-ordinating Committee, and general secretary of the Community trade union, added: “Tata have given us no option but take industrial action. The company has not shown any willingness to return to meaningful negotiations to find an end to this dispute. Our members are determined to stand up for their pensions. They delivered a massive vote in favour of industrial action, so that is what will happen.
 
"An overtime ban and work-to-rule will cause massive disruption to Tata’s operations and severely limit production. The company could avoid this by returning to the table. But in the meantime all the unions will also be making preparations for a national day of strike action on 22 June.”
 
Tata Steel's share price was seen down nearly five per cent ahead of US markets opening. 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Jobs and Money

Categories

  • Money
  • Personal Finance

Related Topics

  • employment and wages
  • Pensions
  • Steel crisis
  • UK jobs

Trending Articles

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Government urged to refuse £1bn British Steel repayment to Chinese former owner 

    Politics
    Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.
  • Fifa crisis: Europe, North America and Asia unite to call for Infantino to quit

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, raising both hands, wearing a suit with a World Cup pin.
  • Doctors union tops up £1m reserve pot for strikes

    Healthcare
    GettyImages 2246649047: Business professionals discussing strategy at a conference table, highlighting teamwork and collab...
  • Rupert Lowe axes pensions triple lock and pledges tax cuts in economic plan

    Politics
    Rupert Lowe, former Southampton FC chairman, smiles while holding files on a city street, wearing a suit and pink tie
  • Jonathan Reynolds’ industrial strategy is straight out of the 60s

    Opinion
    Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.
  • Thames Water faces fresh threat to survival after pensions regulation breach

    Water
    Thames Water infrastructure with pipes and maintenance workers, highlighting water management efforts in London
  • Allegion to Attend 2026 Mizuho Industrials & Chemicals Conference

    Business Wire
  • ReNew Reports 25.6% Reduction in Scope 1 & 2 Emissions and 24.7 Billion Units of Clean Power Generated in FY 2025-26

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook