Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,747.35
+0.18%
DAX
26,129.78
+0.01%
CAC 40
8,513.35
+0.05%
STOXX 50
6,453.64
-0.22%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Saturday 28 May 2022 2:10 pm

US financial watchdog raises questions around Musk’s Twitter stake acquisition

By: Louis Goss

Add as a preferred source on Google
Elon Musk Speaks At Satellite Conference In Washington, DC
Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images

The US Securities and Exchanges Commission (SEC) has cast doubts over the legality of Elon Musk’s failure to properly disclose his acquisition of a 9.2 per cent stake in Twitter for $2.6bn, before launching his bid to takeover the social media firm.

In an April 4 letter to the richest person in the world – published by the SEC on Friday – the US financial watchdog called on Musk to explain his failure to disclose his mid-March acquisition within the required 10-day period.

The regulator also asked Musk to explain why he had filed the form required for passive investors, instead of active investors, in light of his “recent public statements” as to whether Twitter “’rigorously adheres to’ ‘free speech’”.

The SEC’s letter comes after Musk struck a $44bn deal in April to take control of Twitter, after the billionaire spoke out against the social media platform’s approach to free speech.

More recently, Musk has sought a discount on the $44bn deal he originally negotiated with Twitter after raising concerns around the prevalence of “bots” on the social platform. The billionaire previously called for evidence that fewer than 5 per cent of Twitter users are bots for the deal to go ahead.

The publication of the SEC’s April 4 letter comes after Twitter investors yesterday filed a lawsuit against Musk claiming the billionaire had engaged in “market manipulation” by driving the price of Twitter’s stock down, in order to improve his bargaining position in negotiations with the firm.

Yesterday, Twitter also said it would not accept Musk ally Egon Durban’s resignation from Twitter’s board, after shareholders blocked his re-election at the firm’s annual meeting. Silver Lake Partners, the private equity firm at which Duban is co-CEO, previously helped Musk formulate his $44bn deal.

The vote to oust Dubran came amid concerns the private equity boss had spread himself too thin, by sitting on seven different company boards. However, Twitter said it would keep him on as an exec, following an agreement to see him cut his board membership to five separate positions.    

Read more

Here’s the right way to criticise the media

Elon Musk and a woman in blue blazer seated with microphones, golden car in background

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Legal
  • Business
  • Economics
  • Investing
  • Media

Related Topics

  • Elon Musk
  • Twitter

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • Here’s the right way to criticise the media

    Opinion
    Elon Musk and a woman in blue blazer seated with microphones, golden car in background
  • Statement on Terminating the Letter of Intent With AI Financial Corporation

    Business Wire
  • Luxfer Enters Into Agreement to Be Acquired for $17.37 Per Share in All-Cash Transaction

    Business Wire
  • Triumph for Tesla as top court rules 5G licensing case should be heard in UK

    Lawsuit
    Tech billionaire Elon Musk has been asked to serve in Donald Trump’s cabinet. (Photo by Apu Gomes/Getty Images)
  • Competition watchdog clears Paramount Warner Bros acquisition

    Media
    Paramount, Netflix, Warner logos; media giants intensifying streaming competition and strategic industry shifts
  • Ryanair warns of ‘passport queue chaos’ with new EU border system

    Aviation
    Elon Musk and Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary face off amid acquisition rumors in a business meeting setting
  • Lisa Nandy has set a terrible precedent by flouncing off Twitter

    Opinion
    Culture secretary Lisa Nandy has warned that the limbo over David Kogan’s appointment as head of the Independent Football Regulator is “obviously having real-world consequences”.
  • FCA charges City lawyer with insider dealing over maternity brand acquisition

    Legal
    The FCA said in June any scheme must keep the market afloat in order to curb rising costs for consumers.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook