Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 12 January 2017 7:03 am

US intelligence services deny leaking explosive Trump dossier of personal allegations

By: Jasper Jolly

Add as a preferred source on Google

The head of the US intelligence services has hit back at US President-elect Donald Trump over claims his department leaked an explosive dossier of claims.

James Clapper, director of national intelligence, denied claims that Trump had tweeted that the document had been leaked by one of the organisations under his control. Clapper said:

I emphasized that this document is not a US Intelligence Community product and that I do not believe the leaks came from within the IC. The IC has not made any judgment that the information in this document is reliable, and we did not rely upon it in any way for our conclusions.

I expressed my profound dismay at the leaks that have been appearing in the press, and we both agreed that they are extremely corrosive and damaging to our national security.

The denial comes as another blow to the fragile relationship between Trump and US intelligence services before his Presidency has even begun.

The dossier of lurid personal allegations about Trump was allegedly in the possession of Russian intelligence, who might have been able to use the allegations contained within it to blackmail Trump.

It was reportedly originally written as opposition research on behalf of a political rival during the Republican primary campaign, but has since circulated widely within the US intelligence community, top US politicians such as Senator John McCain, and other media organisations.

CNN first made the document public, after other news publications had refused to publish it having failed to verify the contents. Buzzfeed then published the dossier in full – despite also being unable to verify it.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • International

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • INTX Introduces Tenet, the Industry’s First Native Intelligence Layer for the (Re)Insurance Operating System

    Business Wire
  • Trump regime distances itself from Infantino as under-fire Fifa boss faces calls to quit

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino and Donald Trump holding the FIFA World Cup trophy
  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

    FTSE 100 Live
    FTSE 100 stocks rise as Brent crude oil prices jump 1.8% to $104.98 amid Strait of Hormuz tensions and Trumps Iran stance
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 falls as Iran and US clash over Strait of Hormuz; Oil stockpiles ‘rapidly depleting’

    FTSE 100 Live
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • Aera Technology Named to Constellation ShortList™ for Decision Intelligence Platforms as the Category Reaches an Enterprise Inflection Point

    Business Wire
  • True Launches Forensic Referencing Offering and Appoints Christopher Jaros as Partner to Lead

    Business Wire
  • FGE NexantECA Acquires Square Commodities, Accelerating Its Green Molecules Strategy

    Business Wire
  • Brightfin Appoints Preeti Shukla as Chief Product and AI Officer

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook