Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 19 July 2016 9:32 am

We can’t Bayer it: Henderson attacks German’s Monsanto takeover pursuit

By: William Turvill

Add as a preferred source on Google

London-based fund management group Henderson Global Investors has attacked Bayer’s proposed takeover of US seeds company Monsanto.

Asim Rahman, Henderson’s European equities fund manager, also demanded there be a shareholder vote on the deal, although it does not technically require investor approval.

Henderson is understood to have reduced its stake in Bayer since news of the deal emerged in May.

Read more: Improved Bayer offer for Monsanto fails to kill seeds of doubt around deal

“For us, the strength of Bayer as a long term investment has been called into question by its potential takeover of Monsanto,” said Rahman.

The letter was sent to Bayer on 7 June but, after Bayer improved its offer for Monsanto to $64bn (£48bn) last week, Henderson has today shared an extract from it.

Rahman said: “After meeting with Bayer management at the end of May, we were still not convinced the transaction will create value. The acquisition terms reflect paying a very high valuation multiple and the deal could constrain inorganic investment in the pharma division at a time when the future pipeline of this division is a key concern for investors. Following a future integration of Monsanto, Bayer could find itself with a weakened pharma business.”

Read more: German Bayer improves takeover offer for US GM seeds company Monsanto

He added: “Even if we accept the strategic rationale for the deal, it still represents a major departure from a strategy of focus and integration of existing acquisitions that Bayer had consistently communicated to the market for a number of years.”

On the shareholder vote, Rahman said:

We cannot accept the board’s decision to deny shareholders any opportunity to vote on it. This choice implies the board is comfortable pressing ahead with the takeover without the approval of a majority of shareholders. We clearly hope this isn’t the case and have urged the board via our most recent correspondence to reconsider this conclusion.

Technically the transaction does not require shareholder approval, but an endorsement by shareholders would provide an opportunity to repair market trust in the investment case. Even if the Monsanto acquisition is successfully completed, without restoring investors’ faith in the story, it is likely the new Bayer would suffer from an increased conglomerate discount and would ensure the valuation would remain at a material and permanent disadvantage to peers.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • M&A

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Bayer Leverkusen and RB Leipzig face ownership shake-up after 50+1 ruling

    Sport Business
    Two male soccer players, one in blue and one in white/red, vie for the ball on a green field.
  • Exclusive: Arsenal target Vinicius Jr future at Real Madrid to be decided this week

    Sport Business
    Vinicius Jr. celebrates a goal in a yellow Brazil jersey during a football match, with stadium lights in background.
  • Janus Henderson US (Holdings) Inc. Announces Expiration and Results of Offer to Purchase for Cash Any and All of Its Outstanding 5.450% Senior Notes Due 2034

    Business Wire
  • FTSE 100 Segro ‘minded to accept’ £14bn Prologis takeover

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Exclusive: Easyjet shareholder rights to be watered down under Apollo deal

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • This Is the Moment Everything Changed: Ascensia Launches Global Art and Photography Competition for World Diabetes Day

    Business Wire
  • FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Billionaire Easyjet founder in line for £800m payday from takeover

    Markets
    Easygroup boss Stelios hits out after trademark defeat in London
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook