Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 08 June 2021 8:09 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 08 June 2021 2:45 pm

Wealthy Chinese and Hong Kong nationals flock to the UK via investor visa

By: Millie Turner

Add as a preferred source on Google
The UK has confirmed that 73 people have been tested for infection following the rapid spread of infection
The programme, which has so far raked in £522m since the start of Covid-19, has continued to appeal to the super rich who are able to bypass packed flights for private jets.

Research by real estate firm Astons has found that wealthy Chinese and Hong Kong nationals are the most likely to head to the country via the UK Tier One Investor visa during the pandemic.

Meanwhile, over 34,000 Hong Kong citizens so far this year have applied for the UK’s bespoke BNO visa scheme that was launched in 2020 following Beijing’s democracy crackdown.

“The offer of the British National Overseas (BNO) visa has spurred a large migration of Hong Kong nationals to British shores,” managing director Arthur Sarkisian said.

“However, this interest hasn’t been confined to the BNO visa alone and Hong Kong’s wealthy have continued to show strong interest in the UK Tier One Investor visa throughout the pandemic as an alternative path when relocating.”

The number of applicants for the programoverall has sunk 20 per cent on pre-pandemic levels in the first quarter of this year, as Covid-19 has scuppered travel plans across the globe.

Applicants for accompanying children have also tumbled 37 per cent, as a pandemic is not a prime time to uproot lives.

The pandemic-induced 41 per cent decline has also shed the value of applications, as the programme generated £382m less than it did before the current coronavirus emerged.  

However, the programme, which has still so far raked in £522m since the start of Covid-19, has continued to appeal to the super rich who are able to bypass packed flights for private jets.

Chinese and Hong Kong nationals have accounted for an average of 24 per cent of all main applications each quarter.

However, the market share of Hong Kong applicants using this visa type dropped nine per centage points from 16 per cent to a seven per cent market share.

“This interest has been driven largely by the quality of life on offer for an applicant’s dependents, with outstanding schools one of the driving factors for many,” the director continued.

“Despite an overall drop in UK Tier 1 activity as a result of the pandemic, we expect this interest to grow as travel restrictions start to lift and we return to a greater sense of normality.”

Read more

Options Announces CIX Trading, Canada’s Newest Alternative Trading System (ATS)

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Hong Kong
  • International

Trending Articles

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Options Announces CIX Trading, Canada’s Newest Alternative Trading System (ATS)

    Business Wire
  • Pre-season tours: Inside the economics of football’s summer money-spinners

    Sport Business
    Enthusiastic football fans, some in Chelsea and AC Milan jerseys, smiling and making peace signs at an event.
  • Options Announces the Availability of Kimi K3 on Its PrivateMind Platform At No Additional Cost to Existing Customers

    Business Wire
  • Options Unveils H1 2026 AtlasFeed and Raw Market Data Feed Expansion

    Business Wire
  • Align Technology Prevails in China Patent Infringement Action Against Angelalign

    Business Wire
  • Liverpool FC eye US retail empire to steal march on Premier League rivals

    Sport Business
    Large display screens featuring Liverpool FC players Alisson Becker and Harvey Elliott in a retail store window.
  • Twilight and Thunder the Calls at Shergar Cup

    Sport
    William Haggas, a man with gray hair and blue eyes, smiling and wearing a tan coat and patterned tie
  • Techtronic Industries Delivers Strong First Half Performance

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook