Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 30 April 2024 2:02 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 30 April 2024 2:08 pm

Wework founder Adam Neumann iced out of £359m bankruptcy deal

By: Laura McGuire

Add as a preferred source on Google
Wework has unveiled a new plan to absolve itself from bankruptcy, and it does not involve Adam Nuemann its founder who was looking to regain control of the business. 
Wework has unveiled a new plan to absolve itself from bankruptcy, and it does not involve Adam Nuemann its founder who was looking to regain control of the business. 

Troubled office space provider Wework has unveiled a new plan to absolve itself from bankruptcy, but it does not involve Adam Nuemann its founder who was looking to regain control of the business. 

On Monday, the US-business revealed a $450m (£359m) cash injection from senior lenders, which if approved,  would allow the business to exit Chapter 11 Bankruptcy by its target of 30th May. 

The company also said it plans to “eliminate all of its $4bn (£3.19bn) of outstanding, prepetition debt obligations”

A vote on the plan is expected to take place at the end of next month. 

David Tolley, chief executive of the business, said: “WeWork is and has always been an industry leader. 

“Over the past six months, we have worked extremely hard to develop a Plan for a reorganised WeWork that is better capitalised, more operationally efficient, and positioned for continued investment in our products and services and a return to long term growth.”

Yardi Systems, which acts as a vendor and creditor to Wework has agreed to inject $337m, taking a 60 per cent stake in the business. 

Read more

Revolut chatbot goes rogue by charging users to cancel subscription

Revolut Mastercard debit card in black with textured lines on a light gray surface
Wework founder Adam Neumann has submitted a $500m (£394m) bid to buy back the troubled coworking business. 
Wework founder Adam Neumann submitted a $500m (£394m) bid to buy back the troubled coworking business. 

A separate group of hedge funds will put the remaining $113m in. 

Founder Adam Neumann had plans to buy the business back and merge it with his latest property company Flow. 

Last month it was reported Neumann had submitted a $500m (£394m) bid to buy back the troubled co-working business. 

An attorney for Flow told the Financial Times Neumann’s bid of $650m (£519m) was still higher than the one approved by the court and said he anticipated “robust objections to confirming this plan”.

The American businessman founded Wework in 2010 and oversaw the business when it hit a peak private market valuation of $47bn (£37bn). 

He stepped down as chief after a failed IPO, which crushed its value after investors raised concerns about his running of the company. 

City A.M. has contaced Flow for comment.

Read more

From crown jewel to €180m courtroom battle: The investor revolt targeting Atos

Atos logo prominently displayed on a modern office building, highlighting its corporate presence and technological expertise.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Property

People & Organisations

  • London Stock Exchange
  • Property
  • WeWork

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Revolut chatbot goes rogue by charging users to cancel subscription

    Fintech
    Revolut Mastercard debit card in black with textured lines on a light gray surface
  • From crown jewel to €180m courtroom battle: The investor revolt targeting Atos

    Markets
    Atos logo prominently displayed on a modern office building, highlighting its corporate presence and technological expertise.
  • Planet Opens London Office, Expanding European Footprint

    Business Wire
  • Revolut takes flight with launch of new airport lounges

    Fintech
    Revolut Lounge sign on a concrete wall with a person on an escalator holding a rolling suitcase.
  • Britain’s problem isn’t too much Thatcherism, but too little

    Opinion
    Margaret Thatcher smiling outside 10 Downing Street during her tenure as UKs longest-serving Prime Minister in the 20th ce...
  • Ocado founder Steiner set to quit as boss after board coup

    Retail
    Ocado and Openreach lead push against Congestion charge for electric vans
  • Lehman Brothers Treasury Considers Sale and Final Wind-Down

    Business Wire
  • Boomtown 2026 review: Surely the best party in the world

    Life&Style
    Large crowd at Boomtown festival main stage with vibrant smoke and confetti, during a sunny day.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook