Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 12 January 2022 9:55 am  |  Updated:  Wednesday 12 January 2022 10:05 am

Where is Boris? No 10 eerily quiet as resignation calls grow over ‘bring your own booze’ party but Johnson ignores demands to come clean

By: Michiel Willems

Add as a preferred source on Google
Boris Johnson Visits Uxbridge Constituency
Boris Johnson’s position is coming under increasing pressure, after a leaked email from a senior civil servant on Monday night revealed Downing Street had a lockdown-busting “bring your own booze” party on 20 May, 2020.

The Prime Minister is facing an increasingly hostile and outraged Conservative Party as he will meet with MPs today amid furious demands to come clean over his attendance at a reported “bring your own booze” party in the No 10 garden in breach of Covid lockdown rules.

Boris Johnson will make his first public appearance since the leak on Monday of an email from his principal private secretary Martin Reynolds inviting Downing Street staff to the gathering in May 2020.

The disclosure triggered a new wave of public anger following the reports last year of parties in the run up to Christmas 2020, with Tory MPs openly warning Johnson his position will be untenable if he has been shown to have lied.

No response from Downing Street

Downing Street has refused to say if he was present at the May event, despite reports he and his fiancee (now wife), Carrie Symonds, were among around 30 people to attend at a time when such gatherings were banned.

The Prime Minister has said it is a matter for Sue Gray, the senior civil servant who is investigating a series of reported parties in Downing Street and elsewhere in Whitehall in the course of 2020 to determine what happened.

However Conservative MPs warned that such a position was simply unsustainable as Johnson must know whether he was there or not.

Backbencher Nigel Mills warned that any senior figure who willingly attended the event could not have a position where they were responsible for setting Covid-19 policy.

“It is utterly untenable, we have seen people resign for far less than that. If the Prime Minister knowingly attended a party, I can’t see how he can survive.”

Nigel Mills

“I don’t think we need an inquiry to work out whether the Prime Minister was there. He knows whether he was there or not. Just come out and say what happened.

“If he was there he better try a hugely fulsome apology and see if the country will buy it but I’m not sure they will.”

His comments echoed the leader of the Scottish Tories Douglas Ross who again warned that Mr Johnson could not carry on in No 10 if he was found to have misled Parliament.

Sir Charles Walker, the vice chairman of the Conservative backbench 1922 Committee, said there was a lot of anger over what had happened and said the Prime Minister urgently needed to rebuild public trust.

Read more

Watch out, Burnham

Man in The Passage apron slicing food in a commercial kitchen, with a food allergens chart visible.

“I think the Prime Minister needs to spend the next six months restoring trust in No 10 and making some good and strong decisions. I think that is the challenge for him,” he told Channel 4 News.

Frustration and anger

There was frustration and anger among Tories at the failure of Downing Street to address the latest allegations on Tuesday.

Mr Johnson avoided scrutiny by sending the Paymaster General Michael Ellis to respond on his behalf to an emergency Commons question on the issue tabled by Labour.

In a possible indication of waning support among Tory MPs for their leader, the Conservative benches were sparsely populated while no senior ministers appeared publicly to defend him.

I’m sorry. It’s humiliating, and does not reflect the majority of my colleagues who *at least try* and lead by example. Thank you for your sacrifice and your wife’s work. I will always represent you above all else. https://t.co/wkzvzP4K7s

— Rt Hon Johnny Mercer (@JohnnyMercerUK) January 11, 2022

In an echo of what happened last year when Health Secretary Sajid Javid pulled out of a morning broadcast round following earlier disclosures, there was no sign of a minister taking to the airwaves on Wednesday.

In contrast, the Commons chamber is expected to be packed for Prime Minister’s Questions as MPs watch to see if he can turn round an increasingly perilous position.

With the public mood turning increasingly angry, two snap polls found a majority now believed Mr Johnson should stand down as Prime Minister.

A Savanta ComRes study found 66% of British adults thought he should quit, with 24% saying he should stay while a YouGov survey for Sky News found 56% believed he should go, with 27% saying he should remain.

Meanwhile, Scotland Yard has said it is in contact with the Cabinet Office about the latest allegation.

As a result, Ms Gray’s investigation could be paused if evidence emerges of a criminal offence and the Metropolitan Police decide to launch an inquiry.

https://twitter.com/michielwil/status/1481146449316438018?s=20
Read more

Britain’s problem isn’t too much Thatcherism, but too little

Margaret Thatcher smiling outside 10 Downing Street during her tenure as UKs longest-serving Prime Minister in the 20th ce...

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

Related Topics

  • Boris Johnson

Trending Articles

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Watch out, Burnham

    watches
    Man in The Passage apron slicing food in a commercial kitchen, with a food allergens chart visible.
  • Britain’s problem isn’t too much Thatcherism, but too little

    Opinion
    Margaret Thatcher smiling outside 10 Downing Street during her tenure as UKs longest-serving Prime Minister in the 20th ce...
  • Should Burnham dash for an early election?

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, wearing a dark suit and glasses, speaks outdoors with trees in the background.
  • Jonathan Reynolds’ industrial strategy is straight out of the 60s

    Opinion
    Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.
  • No 10 backs ‘vertical drinking’ in Soho pubs

    Hospitality
    Pub-goers 'vertical drinking'.
  • What are we to make of John Healey? Time will tell.

    Economics
    John Healey - Chancellor
  • Back bookshops in bid to rebuild high streets, Burnham urged

    Retail
    Bloomsbury has reported results ahead of consensus expectations
  •  Burnham to unveil new cost of living measures on UK tour

    Politics
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, speaking outdoors with a lapel microphone on his suit jacket.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook