Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 20 April 2023 1:00 pm  |  Updated:  Thursday 20 April 2023 11:33 am

Why Rafael Nadal could miss this year’s French Open

By: Matt Hardy

Deputy Sports Editor - Morning Wire

Add as a preferred source on Google
Tennis superstar Rafael Nadal is set to miss this year's second Grand Slam event – the French Open – after pulling out of yet another clay court warm-up tournament.
Tennis superstar Rafael Nadal is set to miss this year’s second Grand Slam event – the French Open – after pulling out of yet another clay court warm-up tournament. (Photo by Kim Landy/Getty Images)

Tennis superstar Rafael Nadal is set to miss this year’s second Grand Slam event – the French Open – after pulling out of yet another clay court warm-up tournament.

The 36-year-old has lifted the Musketeers’ Cup 14 times in his illustrious career but appears unlikely to make that 15 this year when the tournament gets underway next month.

Having been injured while attempting to defend his Australian Open title earlier this year, Nadal has missed the opening two clay court tournaments on the calendar – Monte Carlo and Barcelona.

Nadal tennis’ king of clay

To add to the 22-time Grand Slam’s woes, he has stopped training and has pulled out of next week’s Madrid Open.

Last month the Spaniard dropped out of the top 10 of the ATP rankings for the first time since 2005.

“It has been a difficult few weeks and months,” Nadal said on Instagram.

“As you know, I suffered a major injury in Australia, in the psoas (muscle). Initially, it had to be a six to eight week recovery period and we are now on 14. The reality is that the situation is not what we would have expected.

“All medical indications have been followed but somehow the evolution has not been what they initially told us and we find ourselves in a difficult situation.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Rafa Nadal (@rafaelnadal)

Rafa spoke on Instagram

“The weeks are passing and I had the illusion of being able to play in tournaments that are the most important in my career such as Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, Roland Garros, and for the moment I have missed Monte Carlo and Barcelona. I will not be able to be in Madrid, unfortunately.

“The injury still hasn’t healed and I can’t work out what I need to do to compete. I was training but now a few days ago we decided to change course a bit, do another treatment and see if things improve to try to get to what comes next.”

Read more

Exclusive: Bordeaux Begles to compete in London rugby sevens tournament

Rugby player in a maroon beret and blue jersey holding a trophy, surrounded by fans taking selfies at a stadium.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Tennis

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Exclusive: Bordeaux Begles to compete in London rugby sevens tournament

    Sport Business
    Rugby player in a maroon beret and blue jersey holding a trophy, surrounded by fans taking selfies at a stadium.
  • Champions Cup rugby team hacked in ransom attack with player data at risk

    Sport Business
    Rugby player in a pink uniform running with the ball, pursued by an opponent in a black jersey.
  • Cristiano Ronaldo on Mars: Where will sport take us in the next five years?

    Sport Business
    Cristiano Ronaldo smiling in his white and yellow Al Nassr football jersey during a match
  • 2026 Open Championship set to double spending in Royal Birkdale

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed on a digital screen, highlighting the media companys branding and presence in the news industry.
  • This Is the Moment Everything Changed: Ascensia Launches Global Art and Photography Competition for World Diabetes Day

    Business Wire
  • Wetherspoon shares dive as pub chain warns on profit again

    Hospitality
    Tim Martin, founder of JD Wetherspoon, speaking and gesturing with an open hand, wearing a blue polo shirt and dark jacket.
  • Summer loving! 9 amazing things to do in London this August

    Life&Style
    Three revelers in vibrant feathered costumes celebrating at Notting Hill Carnival.
  • If SailGP steers towards ultra-aspirational audience it will soar

    Sport Business
    SailGP F50 catamaran Los Gallos sailing past a cheering crowd as red and blue smoke erupts.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook