Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 07 February 2022 6:35 pm

Why UK and Ireland want Euro 2028 bid instead of 2030 World Cup

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
The UK government is yet to announce funding for a bid to stage Euro 2028, having previously trumpeted hopes of staging the 2030 World Cup
The UK government is yet to announce funding for a bid to stage Euro 2028, having previously trumpeted hopes of staging the 2030 World Cup

The UK and Ireland have abandoned plans to bid to host football’s 2030 World Cup almost a year after Prime Minister Boris Johnson trumpeted the project.

Instead the football associations of England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland favour bidding to stage the 2028 European Championship. 

So why has the World Cup bid been shelved and was the project a waste of time and money? Morning Wire attempts to answer those questions.

Why aren’t we bidding for the 2030 World Cup?

The associations say they concluded, following a lengthy feasibility study, that staging Euro 2028 instead would “offer a similar return on investment” but with “a far lower delivery cost”. 

There are also serious questions about whether a British bid would garner enough support from other nations, who have in the past viewed England in particular as haughty. 

Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee chair Julian Knight MP welcomed the end of what he called the “World Cup vanity project”. 

A government statement also cited “current uncertainty around the future format of the tournament”, an apparent reference to discussions about making the World Cup a biennial competition rather than once every four years.

Haven’t we just hosted the Euros and didn’t that end in tears?

London and Glasgow did host matches at last year’s delayed Euro 2020, with Wembley staging the final between England and Italy. 

Violent scenes as hundreds of ticketless fans gained access to the stadium raised serious questions about the country’s suitability for putting on major sports events. 

Despite the chaos, European football’s governing body Uefa remains keen on Wembley, which can accommodate 90,000 and is a money-spinning venue.

Read more

South Africa sport minister on Olympics bid, Formula 1, Springboks and LIV Golf

Rugby player in green jersey with Pic n Pay 13 shaking hands with a smiling man in a suit and tie

In June the stadium will host a game between Euro 2020 winners Italy and South American champions Argentina, underlining Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin’s claim that last summer’s unrest would not be held against England.

So is a Euro 20208 bid definitely on?

Not quite. The five associations say they have “agreed to focus on a bid”, while the government said it had “initiated work to explore the possibility of bidding”. 

No public funding has yet been committed to putting together a bid, but it added it hoped to “confirm government support for a bid in the coming weeks” 

Bidders must declare their interest to Uefa next month, with final dossiers due for submission in April 2023 and a decision on the host in the following September. 

Will we ever host a World Cup again?

There was understandable caution this time around following the humiliation inflicted upon England’s bid for the 2018 tournament back in 2010. 

While all parties appear to feel it is still too soon for either an English or British bid to succeed, the government said it “remained passionate about bringing a World Cup to the UK and Ireland when the time is right”.

If biennial World Cups do become a reality, logic dictates that the chances of bringing the tournament to these shores would only increase.

What about the £2.8m that the PM pledged for the World Cup bid?

That was to explore the possibility of bidding and the money went on the feasibility study. 

“We are very keen to bring football home in 2030,” Johnson said at the time. “I do think it’s the right place. It’s the home of football, it’s the right time. It will be an absolutely wonderful thing for the country.”

Knight said: “It’s unacceptable that £2.8m in taxpayer money was wasted on a pipe dream that was clearly doomed from the start.”

Read more

Mexico breaks ranks and dents Uefa-led bid to oust embattled Fifa kingpin Infantino

Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, smiling as golden confetti falls around him

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Morning Wire Content
  • Sport Business
  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Football
  • Football finance
  • Sport business

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • South Africa sport minister on Olympics bid, Formula 1, Springboks and LIV Golf

    Sport Business
    Rugby player in green jersey with Pic n Pay 13 shaking hands with a smiling man in a suit and tie
  • Mexico breaks ranks and dents Uefa-led bid to oust embattled Fifa kingpin Infantino

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, smiling as golden confetti falls around him
  • India’s £300m Commonwealth Games dress rehearsal for 2036 Olympics

    Sport Business
    Indian athlete in blue tracksuit receives a white scroll from a woman in a green traditional dress, flanked by two men in ...
  • Prem Rugby team ditch Big Game fixture at Premier League ground

    Sport Business
    Empty stadium stands with large banners supporting MND awareness, Gloucester Rugby, and the Slater Cup.
  • Crossbow Enterprise Cybersecurity Secures Third Consecutive PCI SSC GEAR Term (2026–2028), Bringing Nearly 12 Years of Expertise to Global Payment Security

    Business Wire
  • Sorry Hearn, Northampton Saints idiots if they pay Pollock £1m

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2282147422
  • What Burnham’s Sporting Events Bill means for brands and media owners

    Sport Business
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, in glasses, showing enthusiasm at a sporting event.
  • Pugdundee Safaris Redefines Indian Wildlife Tourism with a 2028 Carbon-Neutral Vision

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook