Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 28 November 2023 11:52 am

Wilko ‘ran out of cash’. Former boss apologies to staff over collapse of chain

By: Laura McGuire

Add as a preferred source on Google
A Wilko store. Photo credit: James Manning/PA Wire
A Wilko store. Photo credit: James Manning/PA Wire

The former boss of Wilko, Lisa Wilkinson, was pushed to offer an apology to the staff of the now-collapsed high street chain and admitted that she let her employees down, as she was grilled by MPs over the demise of the chain.

Wilkinson, who fronted the family business, gave a host of reasons to the business and trade committee as to why the popular chain went under earlier this year, including the fallout from Liz Truss’s mini budget. 

Speaking at a parliament hearing today, she said: “We were about to enter into secured lending arrangements with Macquarie [financial service group] when the 2022 mini-budget happened.”

“Literally we were in the midst of that, and at that point, the interest terms on that loan were hiked massively and that became infeasible. So, that was a contributor.”

“I am devastated that we have let each and every one of those people down with the insolvency of Wilko,” she said.

Wilkinson also admitted that the firm “ran out of cash” before she could push ahead with turnaround plans.

Also facing questions was Mark Johnson who was chief executive of the firm from Christmas last year, and said a decision to not furlough staff during the pandemic and cutting rents was a key factor in its collapse. 

Read more

John Lewis boss quits after warnings of ‘really tough’ trading

Two men, one in an olive green coat, the other in a blue blazer, both smiling.

After more than 90 years on the high street, Wilko and all its 400 stores collapsed back in September, placing 12,500 jobs at risk after a host of failed rescue talks. 

A small portion of jobs were saved after rivals B&M Bargains and Poundland snapped up a number of sites. 

Nadine Houghton, who heads up the GMB Union, told MPs that a “failure of leadership and lack of accountability” led to the store’s collapse. 

She also said that Wilko had been warning staff of “challenging trading positions” since 2010. 

“We’ve got correspondence between ourselves and Wilko where they identify a challenging trading position from about 2010,” she said. 

It comes following reports that the family paid out a total of £77m dividend to themselves and former shareholders of the retail chain in the decade leading up to its collapse.  Even as losses plunged to more than £35m last year a £3m dividend was paid. 

GMB has previously called for the family to repay the money. 

Read more

Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss after takeover bid

Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Retail

Related Topics

  • Cost of living crisis
  • High Street
  • Liz Truss

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • John Lewis boss quits after warnings of ‘really tough’ trading

    Retail
    Two men, one in an olive green coat, the other in a blue blazer, both smiling.
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss after takeover bid

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • Peak chicken? Domino’s hatches plan to swoop into fried chicken market

    Retail
    Dominos Chick N Dip box with crispy chicken strips, red hot sauce, ranch dip, and a cheesy pizza.
  • Domino’s battles for slice of fried chicken market as revenue jumps

    Retail
    Dominos chicken pesto pizza, sliced, with red onion, bell peppers, and melted cheese on a dark background.
  • JP Morgan boss issues bank tax warning to John Healey

    Banking
    JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

    Retail
    Low-angle view of the Harvey Nichols store facade with large windows, ornate columns, and prominent signage.
  • Liverpool owners tipped to sell – but not to Amazon boss Bezos – by former CEO

    Sport Business
    John W. Henry and Linda Pizzuti Henry with the Premier League trophy at a stadium.
  • Budget supermarket Iceland’s sneaky jab at Big Four management consultants

    Retail
    Iceland has reported its latest financial results.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook