Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
0.00%
CAC 40
8,501.91
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 23 January 2024 6:54 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 23 January 2024 8:04 am

Yemen: Further UK and US strikes on Houthis over Red Sea attacks

By: Morning Wire Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
The UK and the US have carried out a fresh set of joint airstrikes in Yemen, in the latest bid to stop Houthi attacks.
The UK and the US have carried out a fresh set of joint airstrikes in Yemen, in the latest bid to stop Houthi attacks. NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

The UK and the US have carried out a fresh set of joint airstrikes in Yemen, in the latest bid to stop Houthi attacks.

Defence Secretary Grant Shapps said the latest round of strikes were in “self-defence” and would “deal another blow” to the Iranian-backed militants.

It follows seven rounds of airstrikes on Houthi military sites by the US in recent days and comes after the UK took part in an initial joint strike operation earlier this month against the Houthis.

Since then, ships have continued to be targeted along the vital Red Sea and Gulf of Aden trade routes, with the US military confirming the latest strikes were against eight targets.

Mr Shapps said: “Dangerous Houthi attacks on shipping in the Red Sea have continued to threaten the lives of sailors and disrupt shipping at an intolerable cost to the global economy. Along with our US partners, we have conducted a further round of strikes in self-defence.

“Aimed at degrading Houthi capabilities, this action will deal another blow to their limited stockpiles and ability to threaten global trade. Alongside our ongoing diplomatic efforts, we will continue to support regional stability across the Middle East, working hand in hand with our like-minded partners.”

The MoD said that four Royal Air Force Typhoons and a pair of Voyager tankers were involved in the latest military strike, which it said saw multiple targets hit at two military sites near the Sanaa airfield in Yemen.

Play Video

The department said that a “very rigorous analysis” was carried out to avoid civilian casualties. According to US Central Command, “targets missile systems and launchers, air defence systems, radars and deeply buried weapons storage facilities” were among the targets.

A senior US military official told a press briefing initial assessments indicated missiles, unmanned aerial systems and weapons storage areas had been destroyed which had “degraded their (Houthis’) ability to conduct these maritime attacks”.

The Houthis’ media office in an online statement said that several American and UK raids targeted Yemen’s capital, Sanaa.

The second operation between the UK and the US comes after a series of joint military strikes on January 11 which saw US and UK warships and jets hit more than 60 targets in 28 locations.

Rishi Sunak and US President Joe Biden had spoken earlier on Monday evening, with a Number 10 readout stating that the two leaders had agreed “continue efforts alongside international partners to deter and disrupt” attacks by the Houthis.

Read more

As it happened: Stocks jump as oil drops below $100; Trump in tariff blitz

Donald Trump speaking at a press conference with microphones, blue sky background

A joint statement issued by Australia, Bahrain, Canada, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the US described the strikes as “proportionate and necessary”.

The statement said that the mission targeted Houthi underground storage site as well as locations linked to the Houthis’ missile and air surveillance capabilities.

It continued: “The Houthis’ now more than 30 attacks on international and commercial vessels since mid-November constitute an international challenge.

“Recognising the broad consensus of the international community, we again acted as part of a coalition of like-minded countries committed to upholding the rules-based order, protecting freedom of navigation and international commerce, and holding the Houthis accountable for their illegal and unjustifiable attacks on mariners and commercial shipping.”

The countries also warned: “We will not hesitate to defend lives and the free flow of commerce in one of the world’s most critical waterways in the face of continued threats.”

While the US, UK and other Western allies have insisted the strikes are not escalatory, it comes as tensions simmer in the Middle East as the Israeli bombardment of Gaza continues.

The Houthis, a Shia rebel group that has held Sanaa since 2014 and been at war with a Saudi-led coalition backing Yemen’s exiled government since 2015, have linked their attacks to the Israel-Hamas war.

However, the ships they have targeted increasingly have tenuous links to Israel – or none at all.

The latest operation could raise fresh questions about the need to consult Parliament over military action. It is understood that in contrast to the strikes on January 11, neither Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer nor Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle were briefed about the operation.

Mr Sunak, after the first joint mission, gave a statement to MPs at the earliest possible opportunity. It remains to be seen if or when he will come before the Commons after these latest strikes.

Press Association

Read more

Exclusive: Saudi ship struck by Houthis had insurance from Lloyd’s insurance giant

Rising borrowing costs depicted amid escalating tensions following the Iran war, illustrating economic impact on global ma...

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 mixed; oil breaks $91 as Trump rules out new US-Iran ceasefire

More from Morning Wire

  • As it happened: Stocks jump as oil drops below $100; Trump in tariff blitz

    Markets
    Donald Trump speaking at a press conference with microphones, blue sky background
  • Exclusive: Saudi ship struck by Houthis had insurance from Lloyd’s insurance giant

    Insurance
    Rising borrowing costs depicted amid escalating tensions following the Iran war, illustrating economic impact on global ma...
  • Burnham’s cost of living push under threat as oil hits $100

    Markets
    Two men stand in the ocean with multiple oil tankers and cargo ships in the hazy distance.
  • As it happened: Stocks slip as oil hits $100 following Houthi attacks on tankers

    Markets
    FTSE 100 stocks rise as Brent crude oil prices jump 1.8% to $104.98 amid Strait of Hormuz tensions and Trumps Iran stance
  • As it happened: Stocks fall into red as oil fluctuates over Middle East developments

    FTSE 100 Live
    Large oil tanker navigating a strait under a cloudy sky, impacting oil prices and global trade.
  • As it happened: Stocks drop on Trump-Iran warning; Mahmood tipped to be chancellor

    Markets
    Donald Trump speaking at a press conference podium with an American flag backdrop, emphasizing political discourse
  • Oil prices return to crisis levels

    Markets
    Close-up of a petrol pump nozzle dispensing fuel at a gas station, highlighting rising fuel costs and economic impact.
  • As it happened: Stocks rise; oil falls after Trump pauses Iran strikes

    Markets
    Donald Trump holding a red TRUMP 2028 hat, wearing a tuxedo with an American flag in the background
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook