Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.11
-0.21%
DAX
26,440.31
+0.53%
CAC 40
8,636.80
-0.16%
STOXX 50
6,539.59
-0.09%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceBankingAIEnergyFintechPropertyCapital Markets
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Sunday 29 May 2016 8:45 am

EU referendum: Boris and Gove attack Cameron in open letter on immigration

By: Helen Cahill

Add as a preferred source on Google

Boris Johnson and Michael Gove have centred the Brexit debate on immigration this morning by slamming Prime Minister David Cameron's record on net migration in a letter to the Sunday Times.

Shifting the spotlight from economists, who have generally sided with the 'Remain' camp thus far, Johnson and Gove said Cameron's failure to curb net migration, a manifesto pledge, was "corrosive of public trust".

They added: "Voters were promised repeatedly at elections that net migration could be cut to tens of thousands.

"This promise is plainly not achievable as long as the UK is a member of the EU and the failure to keep it is corrosive of public trust in politics."

Read more: Immigration should be part of the Brexit debate

The letter follows the news that net migration to the UK has risen to 333,000, the second highest figure on record.

And – in case you've missed it – Boris and Gove reminded everyone that such high migration is unsustainable, and said they were "particularly concerned about the impact of free movement in the future on public services."

They go on to attack Cameron's poor negotiation with the EU before the referendum campaigns started in earnest.

The letter, co-signed by Labour MP Gisela Stuart, said: "It's government policy that 'EU migrants should have a job offer before they come here'. But the EU did not agree to letting the UK implement that policy during the renegotiation of our membership."

Number 10 dismissed the letter as a distraction from the economic issues that, so far, have played out well for the remain camp. 

In a statement, Number 10 said: "This is a transparent attempt to distract from the fact that the overwhelming majority of economists and businesses are clear that leaving the single market would be disastrous for jobs, prices, and opportunities for working people."

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • Jobs market ‘stops moving’ as employment costs weigh on hirers

  • House prices suffer biggest August slump in eight years 

  • Back bookshops in bid to rebuild high streets, Burnham urged

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Reform pledges £50bn savings in ‘generational’ benefits shake-up

More from Morning Wire

  • Serco chief hits back at New Statesman’s outsourcing jibes

    Politics
    New Statesman magazine cover, How Britain Lost Control, with a crowned lion held by a hand, over a city skyline.
  • ‘Businesses are not cash machines’ – Badenoch calls on Burnham to rule out tax rises

    Politics
    Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch is preferred as Prime Minister to Keir Starmer. Photo: PA
  • Investor visa proposed by Labour-aligned think tank

    Politics
    Skyline of Canada with iconic financial district buildings, highlighting UK investments and economic growth.
  • AI Minister: Visa reform key to keeping tech giants in Britain

    AI
    Kanishka Narayan, prominent figure in the news, engaging in a public event or discussion, showcasing leadership and influe...
  • Brits wary of EU summer hols as officials refuse to ease new border checks

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Airport delays in Spain
  • Burnham’s devolution drive could ‘push 90,000 jobs out of London’

    Economics
    In 2022, rolling Tube strikes led to massive queues for crowded buses. (Photo by Chris J Ratcliffe/Getty Images)
  • The Square Mile art gallery with amazing free exhibitions

    Life&Style
    Art enthusiasts view colorful abstract paintings and a unique yellow light sculpture at a Square Mile art gallery.
  • Sadiq Khan’s London plan is not nearly ambitious enough

    Opinion
    The Mayor of London, Sir Sadiq Khan, has this morning announced a £1.4m cash injection for community sport across the capital.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • UK & Ireland

Business

  • Markets
  • Banking
  • Technology
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Fintech

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook