Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 09 June 2016 9:44 am

EU referendum: Leave campaign threatens legal action again after voter registration extended

By: James Nickerson

Add as a preferred source on Google

A pro-Brexit campaign group has made yet another threat of legal action, this time against the government.

Leave.EU, Arron Banks' project, has said it is considering legal action against the government after it was announced that the registration deadline for voters would be extended until midnight tonight.

While most called on the government to extend registration so that everyone had the chance to vote, Leave.EU thinks something rather underhand is going on.

"For the government to alter election law during an election period is absolutely unprecedented and unconstitutional," said Banks, co-chairman of the Leave.EU campaign. "This isn't some democratic initiative, it's a desperate attempt by the establishment to register as many likely Remain voters as possible before polling day."

Read more: Vote Leave are not doing themselves any favours as Tyrie calls non-appearance in front of MPs "unacceptable"

Banks said that it follows the Electoral Commission issuing thousands of ballots to EU nationals, while turning a blind eye to councils issuing postal voting guidance suggesting voters put their cross in the box for Remain and doing nothing about the Prime Minister's £9m pro-EU leaflet.

"Taken together, we believe that the above constitutes a clear attempt to rig the referendum or, at a bare minimum, to load the dice," Banks continued.

"We believe it is unconstitutional at best and have been advised that with legitimate cause we could challenge this extension. We are therefore considering all available legal options with our legal team, with a view to potentially launching a judicial review now and after the outcome of the referendum on 23rd June."

However, pro-Leave campaigner Michael Gove, of Vote Leave, said that "everyone possible" should be given the chance to vote, even though it was a step into "complex legal waters".

Read more: Vote Leave issues veiled threat to ITV over Brexit debates

Though it's not the first time Leave campaigners have threatened legal action. Vote Leave made a veiled threat to ITV that there will be "consequences" to what the group claimed was a Remain bias after Ukip leader Nigel Farage was selected to debate David Cameron.

And Leave.EU had previously threatened to take legal action against the Electoral Commission after it was announced Vote Leave would be the officially designated campaign group for pro-Brexiteers.

When Banks withdrew that, he said: "What is clear now is that if we were to pursue a judicial review, according to legal experts, we would win.

"But this is a time to take a step back from the matter, and after consulting with leading campaigners on this issue, including Farage – we have decided to show the public how this process was stitched up, but not to pursue the judicial review any further."

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
  • The Debate: Should political donations be capped at £100,000?

    Opinion
    Nigel Farage delivering a speech in July 2026, wearing a suit, addressing an audience at a political event.
  • Apple gears up for fresh legal fight with government

    Lawsuit
    Apple unveils new products at recent event showcasing innovative technology and sleek design to global audience
  • Exclusive: Government to reject Reform’s offer to cover Farage by-election cost

    Politics
    Nigel Farage speaking at a podium, dressed in a suit, addressing an audience at a business conference event
  • Brazen Burnham should call an election and put his ten year plan to the voters

    Politics
    Andy Burnham speaking to media outside 10 Downing Street with a crowd gathered.
  • Burnham bounce: PM gets popularity boost – at Farage’s expense

    Politics
    Andy Burnham laughing outdoors in a candid moment, May 2026, capturing a lighthearted political event atmosphere.
  • Nearly 1m people to pay higher tax ‘by stealth’

    Economics
    Tax Trap: Another 74,000 taxpayers were added to the punitive £100,000-£125,000 income bracket during the 2024/25 tax year
  • Brits say Burnham should call an election

    Politics
    Number 10 Downing Street entrance with iconic black door, symbolizing British political power and leadership
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook