Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,707.48
-0.19%
DAX
26,087.71
-0.16%
CAC 40
8,531.59
+0.26%
STOXX 50
6,468.80
+0.01%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 29 July 2016 12:22 pm

Megabrew: SABMiller share prices fizzes up as AB InBev’s takeover cleared by Chinese authorities, but deal’s outcome still unclear

By: Francesca Washtell

Add as a preferred source on Google

China's ministry of commerce has given conditional approval to Anhueser-Busch InBev's takeover of SABMiller, but the deal is still on the rocks after the British drinks giant paused integration activities earlier this week. 

The competition authority's decision is the final milestone for the deal, dubbed "megabrew", which has been cleared in the three other key markets of the US, EU and South Africa. All the pre-conditions for the takeover, which will be the largest in British corporate history, have now been satisfied.

Read more: EU antitrust regulators wave through megabrew

The Chinese ministry said its approval was conditional on AB InBev selling SABMiller's 49 per cent stake in China Resources Snow Breweries to China Resources Beer, which currently owns 51 per cent of CR Snow.

SABMiller's share price was up 1.8 per cent on the news, to 4,400p. 

[charts-share-price id="427"]

Although AB InBev has welcomed the news, the megabrew merger's future is still uncertain after SABMiller told its employees to halt the integration of its operations after AB InBev upped its initial offer of £44 per share to £45 per share.

The deal is now worth £79bn, up from around £71bn before. 

Read More: Revenues up at SABMiller as it inches closer to completion on Megabrew deal

SABMiller's chief executive Alan Clark said in a leaked memo: "There should be no contact with AB InBev with immediate effect, and all meetings and calls will be postponed until further notice." However, Reuters reported the pause was not an indication of the board's thinking. 

AB InBev pumped up its offer after activist SABMiller shareholders claimed the deal favoured the two largest shareholders, the San Domingo family and the cigarette maker Altria.

Read more: AB InBev-SABMiller deal bubbles along down under

The activists, which included US hedge fund Elliott Advisors, The Children’s Investment Fund and Sandell Asset Management, argued the fall in Sterling since the Brexit vote reduced the value of their stake in their all-cash deal, compared to Altria and Bevco's cash and share option.

"The combination between AB InBev and SABMiller would create a truly global brewer, providing more choices for beer drinkers, including global and local brands, in new and existing markets around the world," AB InBev said in a statement. 

Today, AB InBev reported a 1.7 per cent fall in volumes on an organic growth basis, while revenue dropped to $10.8bn (£8.2bn) in the second quarter.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • ‘Cheers to Beer’ Celebrates the Drink at the Heart of Life’s Meaningful Moments

    Business Wire
  • Paramount-Warner Bros deal faces ‘sufficient competition’, says CMA

    Media
    Paramount, Netflix, Warner logos; media giants intensifying streaming competition and strategic industry shifts
  • Billionaire Easyjet founder in line for £800m payday from takeover

    Markets
    Easygroup boss Stelios hits out after trademark defeat in London
  • FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Schroders sells financial planning arm as it accelerates high net-worth shift

    Investing
    Schroders office building exterior with modern architecture and company logo prominently displayed in a business district ...
  • ITV says ‘no guarantees’ on jobs after £1.6bn Sky deal

    Media
    Studios revenue rose three per cent to £893m, driven by an 11 per cent jump in external sales to streaming platforms.
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • Vodafone shares jump as French telecoms tycoon becomes top shareholder

    Telecoms
    Vodafone Group has announced the appointment of Microsoft's Pilar López as its new chief financial officer.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook