Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Sunday 14 August 2016 1:00 pm

More proof Southern’s still a total basket case after timetable changes

By: Lynsey Barber

Add as a preferred source on Google

After a week of travel misery among commuters with strikes on Southern Rail, commuters who feel like they're getting a raw deal will be unsurprised to hear that new figures show the operator continues to be beleaguered by cancellations and delays – despite efforts to improve.

One in five Southern services are still not running on time, just weeks after the operator ditched more than 300 trains in a bid to get the rest of the network running on time.

Read more: Southern Rail is still running its services based on the strike timetable

The revised timetable, which caused outrage among rail users, was introduced in early July to "give the majority of our passengers a better, more consistent service that they can plan around" it said at the time.

But analysis of services in the three weeks after the change by consumer group Which? using data from Raildar.co.uk found 381 of the 1,917 services running during the week were cancelled or delayed, still leaving just 80 per cent of services running on time.

It also found the number of services experiencing prolonged delays longer than a few minutes had jumped by 70 per cent on the same period last year. 63 trains per day were delayed by between 10 and 29 minutes in the three weeks from 11 July 2015, compared with 108 this year.

Compensation for train disruption only goes to passengers delayed by 30 minutes or more. However, in light of the new figures, Which? is calling on the government to compensate passengers suffering shorter persistent delays.

Read more: Southern discomfort: Train service's punctuality plunges to 70 per cent

“The extreme disruption experienced by Southern passengers highlights a summer of discontent. Passengers shouldn’t have to deal with persistent poor service, disruption ​and inadequate compensation for their journeys. It’s little wonder that trust in the rail ​industry is falling, said Which? director of Policy Alex Neil.

“The Government must hold the industry to account by ensuring that passengers complaints are properly heard and where things go wrong they are put right promptly.”

London mayor Sadiq Khan on Friday repeated his offer for Transport for London to take over the "failing" Southern franchise. In his second letter in the last month to the transport secretary Chris Grayling, Khan said: "My offer for TfL to get a grip of Southern Rail still stands."

"From day one, I am confident that TfL can deliver a far better service than Southern Rail by immediately assigning an experienced team to fix the service," adding that passengers deserved a better service.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Virgin Trains gets green light for channel tunnel route

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Red Virgin high-speed train on tracks at a station platform, under an arched glass roof, with blurred people.
  • Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

    Law
    Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • The Debate: Should Britain set up a No 10 North?

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham supporters rallying with banners and signs at a political event, showcasing enthusiasm and solidarity
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • Oil price falls but Trump and Iran clash on negotiations claim

    Markets
    Donald Trump smiling in a blue suit and tie with an American flag pin, US flag in background
  • Would a Burnham premiership deepen the North-South housing divide?

    Property
    Andy Burnham returns to Parliament
  • Devolution will create losers too

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham discussing Manchesters Bee Network public transport initiative at a city council event.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook