Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 15 August 2016 8:38 am

Saving no longer as easy as 1, 2, 3: Santander chops interest rate on top account – and now Lloyds is considering a rate change too

By: Hayley Kirton

Add as a preferred source on Google

Santander has today confirmed it is slashing interest rates on its popular 1,2,3 account to 1.5 per cent, while Lloyds has revealed it is mulling its options. 

Santander's change in rate will be effective from 1 November, and it is also making some changes to the overdraft rates.

In a statement issued this morning, the bank explained its decision had been triggered by market expectations that interest rates would now be staying even lower for longer, combined with changes in the banking sector increasing lenders' costs. 

Read more: Why slashed interest rates could provide another M&A boost after Brexit

"Market interest rates have fallen considerably since the 1,2,3 Current Account was launched," the bank's statement read. "Top paying Instant access rates in the market were around three per cent, whereas now they are around one per cent."

The new rate on the 1,2,3 account will apply to balances up to £20,000, meaning account holders can continue to rake in up to £298 per year. Customers with less than £1,000 in their account will now also be eligible for the interest rate, which was not previously the case. 

Read more: This bank's already passed on the rate cut to some mortgage customers

"Many millions of savers across the UK will feel like they've been kicked in the teeth," said MoneySavingExpert.com founder Martin Lewis, who first broke the news about Santander's rate cut early this morning. "Santander 1,2,3 has been a beacon, shining out for those with a decent chunk of cash, as at three per cent it pays decent interest. Now it’s halving that, meaning for those with £20,000 saved, it drops from roughly £600 to £300 a year."

Meanwhile, Lloyds, which currently offers up to four per cent interest on its Club Lloyds account, revealed it too was considering where next to turn, although it did not disclose which accounts would be effected. 

"We regularly review our savings range and make changes in line with the market," a statement from Lloyds Banking Group read. "Having undertaken our latest review we can confirm that over the coming weeks we will make reductions to our savings rates across Lloyds Bank, Halifax and Bank of Scotland." 

Lloyds Banking Group also confirmed it will be slashing the rates on some of its mortgage products – Halifax Homeowner Variable Rate, Halifax Standard Variable Rate and Lloyds Bank Homeowner Variable Rate – from 3.99 per cent to 3.74 per cent. This new rate would become effective on 1 October and the bank added it would not cut its savings rates until the mortgage rate cuts had been passed on.

However, given the downward shift in interest rates earlier this month, some commentators struggled to look surprised.

Read more: Santander UK makes bid for RBS' Williams & Glyn unit

"For the last couple of years the Santander 1,2,3 current account has been the stand out option for beleaguered savers – paying three per cent with instant access up to £20,000 was too good to be true in the current depressed savings market – the only surprise is that this move didn’t happen at least 12 months ago," said Andrew Hagger of Moneycomms.co.uk.

Jody Baker, head of money at comparethemarket.com, added: "Sadly, with the base rate moving even lower and the threat of another decrease looming, the interest rate cut by Santander is not surprising."

That being said, other banks offering savers high interest deals have not signalled an immediate rate cut. Tesco Bank has confirmed it currently had no plans to lower interest rates on its three per cent current account and TSB is still planning to offer five per cent interest on balances up to £2,000 on its Classic Plus account for the foreseeable future. 

Meanwhile, Nationwide said there was nothing in the pipeline to drop rates on its FlexDirect account and has previously confirmed it will not be cutting the five per cent interest rate on its Flexclusive Regular Saver, the 3.5 per cent rate on its FlexOne Regular Saver or the two per cent rate on its Help to Buy Isa.

The building society did, however, reveal a slew of rate cuts to its variable Isa products at the end of last week, cutting the rate on one such product down to 0.25 per cent. 

On Friday, challenger Shawbrook revealed it was opting not to pass the reduced rate onto any of its existing savings customers and would only cut rates on new offers for three products, and even then by less than the 0.25 point cut dealt by the central bank.

"Relationships over rates," said chief executive Steve Pateman.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Banking
  • Business

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • The European fintech American dream is being called into question

    Fintech
    Wise logo with downward trending stock chart, highlighting fintechs share decline amid Belgium fraud investigation
  • Stamp duty on shares is ‘biggest handbrake’ says UK bank chief

    Markets
    LSEG logo on a large screen inside a modern building with stock tickers and glass ceilings.
  • Revealed: Natwest banked company used by MFS founder to ‘siphon off’ funds

    Banking
    Hand holding a NatWest debit card with a colorful design, blurred NatWest logo in the background.
  • El Nino heatwaves to ‘fuel inflation next year’

    Economics
    Firefighter in helmet and uniform watching a blazing forest fire at night, red glow in the sky
  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

    Personal Finance
    GettyImages 452181854 showing a business conference with diverse professionals engaged in a panel discussion.
  • Andy Burnham to ‘go further’ in business rates reform

    Politics
    Andy Burnham smiling and holding a pint of beer and a smartphone in a pub setting
  • HSBC kicks off $1bn share buyback after profit smashes forecast

    Banking
    HSBC's stock has taken a hit due to the huge tariffs slapped on Asian countries.
  • Inflation leaps to 2.9 per cent in blow to Burnham 

    Economics
    Burnham cityscape showcasing modern architecture, bustling streets, and vibrant community life in a thriving urban setting
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook