Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 25 August 2016 1:32 pm

RMT announces another strike on the Govia network that will coincide with the Southern industrial action

By: Oliver Gill

Add as a preferred source on Google

Commuters are facing a double-whammy of industrial action just as the summer holidays come to end.

The RMT has announced another strike on 7 September on the Govia Thameslink network in a dispute over the future role of station staff.

The 24 hour walk-out follows confirmation of a 70 per cent vote for strike action of ballot of members in relation to Govia's intention to change staff roles at stations and create "Station Hosts".

Read more: Southern Rail workers are voting on yet another strike

A separate two day strike starting on 7 September was announced on Tuesday in relation to the RMT's long-running dispute with Southern Rail about the role of guards on its services.

Southern is part of the Govia network and has previously run a skeleton service during industrial action. It is not currently known what this will mean for commuters on 7 September when both strikes are scheduled to go on concurrently.

Crispin Blunt MP, whose Reigate constituency is affected by the ongoing issues with Southern said:

As trains and technology modernise, the roles of rail staff need to adapt to deliver an efficient rail service and better customer service.

The RMT is only interested in defending out-of-date working practices.

To inflict this level of disruption on one of the busiest rail networks in Europe over the mere extension of an existing and widely-used technology to new trains, and when so many guarantees over pay and conditions have been made, is nothing short of a total disgrace.

Read more: RMT announces new strike dates on Southern Rail

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said:

The Govia Thamelink franchise is in meltdown and not fit for purpose. Not content with axing catering services, closing ticket offices and attacking the role of their guards they now want to threaten 130 station jobs and compromise the safety of both their passengers and staff alike.

Our members have made it clear that they will not stand by while this basket-case franchise unleashes yet another attack on jobs and services in the drive for profits and that is why we have no option but to take strike action.

These cuts plans fly in the face of the response from the thousands of passengers who objected to the closure of ticket offices and the de-staffing of stations as Govia drives on with plans for a “faceless railway” where the public are left to fend for themselves on rammed-out, dangerous and unreliable services.

It is about time Govia Thameslink started acting responsibly, halted their cuts plans and got round the table with the union in serious and genuine talks.

Neither Govia or Southern had issued a statement at the time of writing.

[custom id="108"]

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • Doctors union tops up £1m reserve pot for strikes

    Healthcare
    GettyImages 2246649047: Business professionals discussing strategy at a conference table, highlighting teamwork and collab...
  • Thunder Call set to Strike in Shergar Cup Sprint

    Sport
    Thoroughbred racehorses with jockeys galloping on a green track, blurred crowd in foreground
  • Apple gears up for fresh legal fight with government

    Lawsuit
    Apple unveils new products at recent event showcasing innovative technology and sleek design to global audience
  • Trusted Data Transfer at Mission Speed Enables Operations During UK Army’s Rhino Bizz Exercise

    Business Wire
  • Staff would turn down promotion to keep flexibility at work

    Retail
    Keir Starmer is heading to China
  • Would a Burnham premiership deepen the North-South housing divide?

    Property
    Andy Burnham returns to Parliament
  • AM Best Upgrades Fortegra Insurance Subsidiaries to A (Excellent)

    Business Wire
  • Fifa accused of bullying in attempt to kill off multi-billion class action claim

    Sport Business
    Getty Images news-related image depicting a significant event or person, suitable for general news and business contexts.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook