Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
0.00%
CAC 40
8,579.60
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Sunday 11 September 2016 12:22 pm

HS2 boss blasted by campaigners after surprise Rolls-Royce exit

By: Mark Sands

Add as a preferred source on Google

Campaigners have slammed the news that HS2 chief executive Simon Kirby has quit the rail project for Rolls-Royce just weeks ahead of a government decision on whether to greenlight the next phase of the project, accusing him of seeking to leave "before the mess he has presided over is realised".

Simon Kirby will leave for the engines giant at the end of the year, leaving HS2 without a chief executive as the Department of Transport mulls a final decision on whether an extension from Birmingham onwards to Leeds and Manchester will go ahead.

Transport secretary Chris Grayling is due to issue his verdict in the autumn.

Kirby only joined HS2 in 2014, and his decision has left bosses behind the infrastructure project seeking a replacement before his departure at the end of the year.

Read More: The new transport secretary says it's full speed ahead for HS2

HS2 chairman David Higgins has agreed to remain in place until at least a new chief executive is recruited, and the rail scheme is also seeking to recruit a chief operating officer.

Campaigners against the project said that Kirby had failed to justify his reported salary of £750,000, with the project delayed amid concerns of funding shortfalls.

Stop HS2 campaign manager Joe Rukin said that Kirby was “getting out” before “the mess he has presided over is realised”.

“The departure of Simon Kirby will be a serious blow to those who champion HS2, though many of us are at a complete loss to see just exactly what it is he has done to justify his three-quarter of a million pay packet,” Rukin said.

In a statement, Kirby said that leading the project had been an “honour”.

“I have absolute confidence in their ability to deliver the project and, in doing so, to help transform the way we do things in this country,” he said.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Serco chief hits back at New Statesman’s outsourcing jibes

    Politics
    New Statesman magazine cover, How Britain Lost Control, with a crowned lion held by a hand, over a city skyline.
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • Rolls-Royce share jump as profit beats expectations

    Industrials
    Rolls-Royce is a member of the FTSE 100. Credit - Getty.
  • Babcock and Rolls-Royce stocks rally after Healey appointment

    Industrials
    Defence secretary John Healey is leading calls for further investment in the sector.
  • Rolls-Royce Spectre Series II review: Driving a Rolls on a racetrack – yes, really…

    Life&Style
    Light blue Rolls-Royce Spectre electric coupe driving fast on a race track under a cloudy sky.
  • Andy Burnham must shake Britain out of ‘analysis paralysis’ and get building

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham speaking at a public event, addressing the audience with a focused expression, highlighting his leadership role.
  • Top investors managing $3tn to gain access to UK infrastructure projects via AI platform

    Investing
    INPP have invested in four new infrastructure firms in the first half of this year
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook