Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
-0.42%
CAC 40
8,453.09
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
-0.35%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 09 November 2016 11:43 am

Night Tube passenger numbers are 50 per cent higher than forecast

By: Rebecca Smith

Add as a preferred source on Google

Transport for London (TfL) thought the Night Tube would be popular; it didn't realise quite how popular.

At a meeting of the London Assembly Transport Committee to discuss progress of the services, London Underground's managing director Mark Wild said that at the moment, passenger numbers were 50 per cent higher than forecast on the Night Tube.

The services were first launched on the Victoria and Central lines on 19 August and then joined by the Jubilee on 7 October. The Night Tube will also come to the Northern and Piccadilly lines by the end of the year.

Read more: Here's when the Night Tube starts on the Piccadilly line

Chair of the Committee Caroline Pidgeon noted Transport for London (TfL) expected the Night Tube to run at a loss for first three years of operation at a cost of £24.6m. Chief operating officer Steve Griffiths said  it was possible they'll break even earlier off the back of higher passenger numbers than forecast, though it would "depend on the mix of revenue".

"But clearly it can only be more positive that we said it would pay back in three years and we're seeing greater demand than what we planned in the business case," he added.

Wild added that as the Night Tube was envisaged as a network, it would only be once the five lines were in operation that they'd be able to answer that. "But it's enormously encouraging," he said.

To date, the noise pollution concern with the Night Tube has also been lower than anticipated. Wild said: "We have only had 37 unique complaints on the Night Tube so far, having said that we still have a few hotspots." The east end of the Central line in particular, and Wild acknowledged "the close proximity to buildings on surface is a challenge".

The 37 complaints haven't been broken down yet, so some could be on behalf of a street and potentially clusters of local action groups.

Read more: Sadiq Khan has named London's first night czar

In terms of future roll-out, Wild said the reason TfL can't now expand the Night Tube straight onto the District, Hammersmith and City, Metropolitan lines was because "we're doing open heart surgery replacing the signalling systems".

The weekends are being used to install the brand new signalling system, which should be in operation from 2019. "I predict the Night Tube could be expanded to other sub-service lines after the signalling work," he added, but stressed it was important to assess how the five lines progressed to have evidence for the mayor that future roll-out could be beneficial.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

More from Morning Wire

  • Which is the smelliest Tube line?

    Opinion
    Passenger wearing a blue surgical mask and coat on a London Underground train.
  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • Point2 Completes $136M Series B Funding with Arm, LB Investment, and Maverick Silicon

    Business Wire
  • Mayor gives green light for 4am Joshua vs Fury fight at Wembley

    Sport Business
    Business professionals in a meeting analyzing financial data on laptops, highlighting corporate strategy and decision-making.
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • Tax online businesses more to save Britain’s struggling high streets

    Opinion
    Bustling Oxford Street with shoppers, iconic red buses, and storefronts under a clear sky in a vibrant urban scene
  • Heathrow overtaken by Istanbul as Europe’s busiest airport

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Commercial airplane landing at Heathrow Airport, seen from behind, with a prominent Heathrow sign below.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook