Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,773.55
+0.22%
DAX
26,447.06
+0.03%
CAC 40
8,628.83
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,559.05
+0.30%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 06 December 2016 12:23 pm

Now Sussex bishops call for an end to “cycle of blame” in Southern rail strikes

By: Rebecca Smith

Add as a preferred source on Google

The Southern rail situation just took a rather bizarre twist.

Bishops in Sussex have now stepped into the long-running dispute between the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union and the train operator over the role of the guards.

Writing to Southern's parent owner Govia, union leaders and the Department for Transport (DfT), the church leaders called for an end to the "circle of blame".

Read more: Southern commuters suffering fresh travel chaos from latest strikes

Bishops said the row was threatening the economic health of communities and needed someone to "lead the way". Those jointly responsible had a "moral duty" to address the damage the disruption is causing, they said.

The letter from the Bishop of Chichester, and backed by the Bishops of Horsham and Lewes, said: "In the context of this rail dispute, we assert the moral obligation of all parties in this dispute to consider first and foremost their duty to provide reliable public transport."

Brighton Hove Albion FC had also waded into the dispute, offering to broker talks between the arguing parties at its Amex stadium.

It came after Southern apologised to football fans after many when left stranded at Falmer station following cancellations last month.

RMT's general secretary Mick Cash: "RMT accepted the offer from Brighton and Hove Albion FC to broker talks and we are making the same positive response to the bishops. It is disgraceful that the government and Southern continue to throw back every offer to bring all the parties together to resolve this dispute."

Read more: Southern rail commuters offered a Christmas windfall

A Southern spokesman said in response to the Brighton offer: "Over the past 10 months we've met face to face with the RMT leadership countless times, including many times at Acas."

He added: "We've made a full and comprehensive offer which they have repeatedly rejected. Nothing will be solved until the RMT agrees to let go of the past and help deliver a better service for our passengers."

Earlier today transport secretary Chris Grayling told Southern rail and unions to sort out the issues themselves. Speaking on BBC Radio 4 Today, he said: "I don't think it is right and proper for me to insert myself into a negotiation between a private company and a trade union over a strike which I think is politically motivated."

The latest three-day strike got underway today with the RMT walking out at midnight and Aslef starting an overtime ban.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • Brompton Bicycle sues former adviser for ‘professional negligence’

More from Morning Wire

  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

    Law
    Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.
  • Ed Warner: Why I’m optimistic about the future for Sussex Cricket

    Sport Business
    Financial graph with upward trend, symbolizing business growth and success.
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Doctors union tops up £1m reserve pot for strikes

    Healthcare
    GettyImages 2246649047: Business professionals discussing strategy at a conference table, highlighting teamwork and collab...
  • South East Water told to cough up £31m and improve infrastructure

    Water
    South East Water infrastructure showcasing modern water management technology amidst regional drought challenges
  • Andab could be Talk of New York on Sussex Downs

    Sport
    Smiling man in flat cap, light trench coat, white shirt, and blue tie, looking right.
  • Younger rivals to bow to Ballo in the Sussex

    Sport
    Racehorse Opera Ballo and jockey in blue silks galloping during a race on a sunny day
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook