Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,722.78
+0.02%
DAX
26,266.69
-0.27%
CAC 40
8,548.16
-0.37%
STOXX 50
6,499.38
-0.48%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 07 December 2016 3:41 pm

Tata and unions agree to rescue plan for the Port Talbot steel works

By: Francesca Washtell and Mark Sands

Add as a preferred source on Google

Tata Steel has forged an agreement with the UK’s largest steel unions to rescue the Port Talbot steelworks and other sites, throwing a lifeline to 11,000 jobs provided that changes can be made to the British Steel Pension Scheme (BSPS).

Senior union representatives met Tata Steel executives yesterday to hammer out the deal, which will see the Indian conglomerate plough £1bn into the UK’s largest steel plant and the group’s strip products business for 10 years, unions said.

Workers have been offered a jobs pact that includes a commitment to seek to avoid any compulsory redundancies for five years, while the company has agreed to a guaranteed, minimum five-year commitment to keeping two blast furnaces at the site in operation.

Port Talbot had been under threat since Tata announced it would divest its entire UK operation in March.

Read more: Deal to prop up Tata Steel's Port Talbot site edging closer

The company has agreed to a guaranteed, minimum five-year commitment to keeping two blast furnaces at the site in operation and to reinvest in Blast Furnace 5, which requires relining. 

The Welsh government also announced an extra £4m to develop skills and training for Tata employees, as well as "significant progress" towards a wider package of support for Tata and its workers. 

Read More: British industrial veteran enters race for Tata chairman top job

Koushik Chatterjee, group executive director of Tata Steel, said the agreement marks an “important step forward in the journey to develop a sustainable future for our UK steel business”.

“This news is a step forward, but there is still much to be done. We will continue to fight for a level playing field for our industry; for action on energy costs, on business rates, and on the dumping of foreign steel,” said GMB national officer Dave Hulse.

The MP for Aberavon, where Port Talbot is located, Stephen Kinnock, said: “In principle, today’s news brings to an end almost nine months of uncertainty since Tata Steel announced plans to sell its UK operation, including the Port Talbot steelworks in my Aberavon constituency.

​Read more: This is why we can't blame the decline of the UK's steel industry on climate change

“However, serious questions and concerns remain around the pension scheme, and further detail will clearly be required, before the package is put to an all-member ballot.”

Tata Steel will begin a consultation next week on the closure of BSPS to future accrual, replacing it with a defined contribution scheme, the company said.

However, the scheme’s trustee believes that entry into the Pension Protection Fund, dubbed the pensions lifeboat, remains the most likely outcome for the scheme. This would see payouts reduced.

A Community spokesman said members would be balloted on the future of the pension scheme. “We are fighting hard against it [the pension going to the PPF]. The PPF would be a disaster for existing members and pensioners. Everyone would take an immediate hit of at least 10 per cent and possibly more, and many of the other pension benefits will not appear,” he said.

Read more: Chinese and Russian imports keep steel outlook negative for the next year

A spokesperson for the PPF said: “In the event that there is no future employer able to support a scheme, the PPF will work with all parties to find a solution that is in the best interest of our levy payers, including the members of the British Steel scheme.”

Last week Tata entered exclusive negotiations with Liberty House over the sale of several sites in South Yorkshire.

Tata has been in disarray since former chairman Cyrus Mistry was removed from the position last month. Mistry's predecessor Ratan Tata became interim chairman, and has since pushed Mistry off the board of Tata Steel as well.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • Government nationalises British Steel

    Industrials
    Britains steel industry facing challenges with potential shutdowns and job losses, highlighting economic impact.
  • Government urged to refuse £1bn British Steel repayment to Chinese former owner 

    Politics
    Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.
  • Jonathan Reynolds’ industrial strategy is straight out of the 60s

    Opinion
    Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.
  • Tax bill and Middle East weigh on Heathrow despite record numbers

    Aviation
    Commercial airplane landing at Heathrow Airport, seen from behind, with a prominent Heathrow sign below.
  • Fifa accused of bullying in attempt to kill off multi-billion class action claim

    Sport Business
    Getty Images news-related image depicting a significant event or person, suitable for general news and business contexts.
  • Staff would turn down promotion to keep flexibility at work

    Retail
    Keir Starmer is heading to China
  • Government to inject millions into electric vehicle firms despite mandate backlash

    Politics
    Car bodies on an assembly line in a UK car plant, showcasing EV manufacturing process
  • Allegion to Attend 2026 Mizuho Industrials & Chemicals Conference

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook