Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.11
-0.21%
DAX
26,440.31
0.00%
CAC 40
8,636.80
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,539.59
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceBankingAIEnergyFintechPropertyCapital Markets
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 16 December 2016 4:20 am

Don’t believe the unions’ bogus claims against Southern Rail

By: Paul Plummer

Add as a preferred source on Google

Passengers on Southern Rail are this week enduring disruption to their services of a kind not seen anywhere on the railway for a generation.

From broadcasters to bishops, everyone has been having their say on the industrial dispute about whether drivers rather than guards should be responsible for closing doors on trains that has been causing commuters misery for months.

On too many occasions though, both sides in the debate have been afforded equal merit when even a cursory look at the evidence would show that the case on one side is completely bogus. This does a disservice to passengers who deserve to know the truth about why their rail service has been brought to a halt.

Mick Cash, general secretary of the RMT union which began the dispute, has said that trains where drivers control the doors are “less safe and riskier”. Mick Whelan, general secretary of the ASLEF union, has called such trains “inherently unsafe”.

Read more: The PM wants Corbyn to get on the phone with Aslef to stop Southern strikes

But Her Majesty’s chief inspector of railways, Ian Prosser, told MPs last month that driver operated trains can be run safely by “competent, trained staff” and have been used on Britain’s rail network for over 30 years. His inspectors were in no doubt that Southern has carried out “the appropriate risk assessment” and that all health and safety regulations had been observed.

In short, independent rail safety bodies agree that trains where drivers operate the doors are safe. As if to prove the point, ASLEF itself accepted the introduction of 12 carriage trains such as these on the Thameslink railway as recently as 2011, saying safety was not compromised as a result. Trains of this type already operate widely across the country and on 60 per cent of services run by Govia Thameslink Railway, which operates Southern.

If it’s not about safety, is the dispute about jobs? No. Southern has guaranteed new roles for guards until at least 2021.

Is it about pay? Again, no. Southern has guaranteed nobody will lose pay as a result of its changes.

Is it about ensuring disabled passengers can continue to get on and off trains safely? Southern has committed to assign a second member of staff on board as many if not more of its trains as before. By insisting on a second member of staff for every train, unions are effectively saying that, in the rare instance that a staff member is unavailable, a train that is perfectly safe and able to run should be cancelled, regardless of the inconvenience this may cause to potentially hundreds of passengers.

Read more: Here's how one MP thinks strikes like Southern can be avoided in the future

From the rail company’s point of view, the dispute is simply about better customer service – harnessing new technology so that passengers get more face-to-face contact from staff providing information, help and advice.

The railway has been tremendously successful at attracting passengers over the last 20 years, but commuters know the downsides to this growth: busy trains running on a congested railway where the smallest problem can cause hours of delays.

With Britain’s population forecast to increase by 10m in the next 25 years, bringing even more demand for rail, billions are being spent to upgrade tracks, signalling and trains. But as well as investing money, we have to adopt smarter ways of working where technology means this can be done safely. That’s why my organisation is coordinating work across train operators to identify and help manage future potential issues.

History is littered with businesses that have failed to move with the times and which eventually withered. Passengers and the country cannot afford for that to happen to our railways.

So, if it’s not about safety, jobs, pay or accessibility, what is the dispute really about? While we hope that fresh talks will bring an end to the disruption, it’s time Southern passengers got a proper answer.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • Jobs market ‘stops moving’ as employment costs weigh on hirers

  • House prices suffer biggest August slump in eight years 

  • Back bookshops in bid to rebuild high streets, Burnham urged

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Reform pledges £50bn savings in ‘generational’ benefits shake-up

More from Morning Wire

  • Starmer’s final act will expose firms to more bogus equality claims

    Opinion
    Business conference attendees networking at a corporate event with banners and presentation screens in the background
  • Reading FC bidder banned by financial watchdog for forging £170m bond portfolio

    Sport Business
    Reading Football Club crest on a blue and white banner, with EST. 1871 visible.
  • Exclusive: Twickenham residents branded anti-fun NIMBYs in rugby stadium row

    Sport Business
    Rugby stadium interior with large screen displaying Red Roses v Ireland, goalposts, and empty green seats
  • Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

    Law
    Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.
  • The Debate: Should Britain set up a No 10 North?

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham supporters rallying with banners and signs at a political event, showcasing enthusiasm and solidarity
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Heathrow overtaken by Istanbul as Europe’s busiest airport

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Commercial airplane landing at Heathrow Airport, seen from behind, with a prominent Heathrow sign below.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • UK & Ireland

Business

  • Markets
  • Banking
  • Technology
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Fintech

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook