Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.11
-0.21%
DAX
26,440.31
+0.53%
CAC 40
8,636.80
-0.16%
STOXX 50
6,539.59
-0.09%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceBankingAIEnergyFintechPropertyCapital Markets
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 05 January 2017 12:42 pm

Southern rail driver-operated doors: Rail regulator satisfied they are “a safe method of working”

By: Oliver Gill

Add as a preferred source on Google

The chief inspector of railways has concluded Southern rail's plans for driver-operated doors are safe.

Nevertheless, unions highlighted a series of recommendations in the report by Ian Prosser on behalf of regulator, the Office of Rail and Road (ORR).

Driver-operated doors are at the heart of the Southern rail dispute that has blighted the network for almost a year, with unions consistently claiming that taking control away from the guards is unsafe.

Today's report follows evidence given by Prosser to the transport select committee at the end of last year – following this he promised a thorough investigation into Southern rail's plans. He concluded:

Following a thorough review of Southern’s method and implementation of driver only operation, the ORR is satisfied that with suitable equipment, proper procedures and competent staff in place, it is a safe method of working.

Read more: Aslef has announced more Southern rail strike dates in January

The ORR did make recommendations to Southern's owners Govia including ensuring CCTV image quality is of sufficient standard.

Govia boss Charles Horton accepted the recommendations, which he said the firm "will action as soon as possible".

Read more: No talks planned to avert next week's Southern rail shutdown

He added: “Today, a third of all trains on the UK rail network run with the driver in sole control… the unions must now acknowledge that they have no credible argument that it’s an unsafe method of operation.

"The ball is now in the unions’ court. This futile industrial action must come to an end. It’s time for both sets of union members, to tell their RMT and Aslef leadership in the strongest terms that it’s time to call an end to all this."

Disingenuous

However, unions challenged the findings. Mick Whelan, the general secretary of drivers union Aslef. said:

"Despite what Southern railways is disingenuously claiming, the report from the ORR does not give driver only operation a clean bill of health. It doesn’t say it is safe, merely that it can be safe.

You will notice that Ian Prosser, HM chief inspector of railways, is careful to qualify his remarks and say 'with suitable equipment, proper procedures, and competent staff in place' it can be a method of working.

And, indeed, Ian goes on to say that the ORR has made a long list of recommendations for further improvements because they fear it is not safe. Those recommendations, the company concedes, are not yet in place.

[custom id="108"]

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Trending Articles

  • Jobs market ‘stops moving’ as employment costs weigh on hirers

  • House prices suffer biggest August slump in eight years 

  • Back bookshops in bid to rebuild high streets, Burnham urged

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Reform pledges £50bn savings in ‘generational’ benefits shake-up

More from Morning Wire

  • London AI car firm records surge in revenue on demand for driver-tracking software

    Tech
    Seeing Machines Guardian device mounted on a desk, with a computer monitor in the background.
  • Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

    Law
    Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • The Debate: Should Britain set up a No 10 North?

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham supporters rallying with banners and signs at a political event, showcasing enthusiasm and solidarity
  • e.l.f. Cosmetics is Giving Away Thousands of Driving Lessons to UK Learners

    Business Wire
  • TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

    Tech
    Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background
  • MoN Takanawa: The Museum of Narratives Launches New Season “Sound as Culture” Starting October 1

    Business Wire
  • Would a Burnham premiership deepen the North-South housing divide?

    Property
    Andy Burnham returns to Parliament
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • UK & Ireland

Business

  • Markets
  • Banking
  • Technology
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Fintech

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook