Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 13 February 2017 1:19 pm

RMT staffing row flares ahead of fresh talks with Southern rail tomorrow

By: Rebecca Smith

Add as a preferred source on Google

It might be Valentine's Day tomorrow but don't expect love to be in the air when the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union and Southern rail meet for fresh talks.

The talks, which will be held at conciliation service Acas, are aimed at resolving the long-running dispute over the role of the guard, after train drivers' union Aslef reached an agreement (subject to a members' referendum) earlier this month.

Ahead of the talks, the row has flared again as the RMT highlighted fresh figures it had compiled saying many train services continue to operate without a second member of staff, despite promises made by Southern bosses.

Read more: RMT's role of the guard row spreads as it gears up for more strike action

For nine days across January and February, when there was no industrial action, the RMT said at least 26 trains didn't have an on-board supervisor.

"These are only the instances that have been reported and I have to say that our members think these figures are the thin end of the wedge and instances of driver only trains are far, far more widespread and increasing," said Mick Cash, the RMT's general secretary. "Guaranteeing a second member of safety critical staff on every train is only way you can guarantee access for all and a safer journey for passengers."

A Southern spokesperson said in response: "We said we would roster a second person to every train that had one before, and we are. However we also said in exceptional circumstances when an on board supervisor is unavailable we will run the train, rather than cancel it, because it is in passengers' interests to do so."

Read more: Tube strike threat is officially off after union accepts deal over jobs

There is hope that a solution to the dispute will be found sooner rather than later, though the RMT has criticised Aslef's deal with the train operator as a "shocking and historic betrayal" of workers and passengers.

The deal includes details of circumstances when a train can be operated without an on-board supervisor.

Southern's spokesperson said: "We call on the RMT to follow the same consensual spirit and leadership shown by Aslef and come to the table with the courage, confidence and conviction to settle their dispute for the benefit of passengers, the regional economy, their members and our employees."

 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Virgin Trains gets green light for channel tunnel route

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Red Virgin high-speed train on tracks at a station platform, under an arched glass roof, with blurred people.
  • Exclusive: Rugby World Champions Cup set to be mothballed

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2277832417
  • Sorry Hearn, Northampton Saints idiots if they pay Pollock £1m

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2282147422
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • London being lined up to host re-run of GAA final between Mayo and Kerry

    Sport Business
    StoneX Stadium, home of Saracens Rugby Club, with empty seats in the stands and a clear green field.
  • As it happened: Stocks rise; oil falls after Trump pauses Iran strikes

    Markets
    Donald Trump holding a red TRUMP 2028 hat, wearing a tuxedo with an American flag in the background
  • House prices rise as mortgage rates ease from Iran war highs

    Property
    Starmer plans to build up to 12 new towns.
  • Fifa crisis: Europe, North America and Asia unite to call for Infantino to quit

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, raising both hands, wearing a suit with a World Cup pin.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook