Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
0.00%
CAC 40
8,579.60
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 22 February 2017 10:09 am

Sadiq Khan is on track to have “the worst strikes record” of any London mayor, say GLA Conservatives

By: Rebecca Smith

Add as a preferred source on Google

The mayor is on track for the "worst strikes record of any mayor", Greater London Authority Conservatives said today.

In the latest clash between Conservative London Assembly members and Sadiq Khan, Keith Prince, the deputy chair of the Assembly's Transport Committee, said today's walkout on the Central and Waterloo & City Lines will by the fourth strike in the nine-and-a-half months he's been in office, giving him a projected yearly average of 5.05 strikes.

"The mayor has previously been keen to point to his strikes record as a measure of success against his predecessor," Prince said. "The cold hard facts now are that he is on track to have the worst strikes record of any London mayor – and one that looks set to get worse."

Read more: Five things you'll need to avoid Tube strike trouble today

Conservatives have criticised Khan for vowing "to make sure there are zero days of strikes" on his campaign trail.

Prince added:

The unions sense a weak mayor who will do anything to avoid further walkouts and can be bullied into a deal. We now have a hugely disruptive strike because eight drivers don’t want to move locations from east to central London – a common daily commute for thousands of ordinary Londoners.

During Ken Livingstone's tenure there were 16 strikes in eight years, an average of two a year, while that rose to 35 strikes in eight years under Boris Johnson and an average of 4.4 a year.

Using the ONS measure of days lost to strike action, during Johnson's eight years, 32,212 days were lost as a result of industrial action. Since May 2016, there have been a total of 2,001 days lost, which City Hall notes is a 40 per cent reduction on Johnson's average.

A spokesperson for the mayor said the comments were "more desperate nonsense from the Tories".

"The number of working days lost to strike action under Sadiq has in fact reduced by 40 per cent, substantially reducing the disruption faced by Londoners," the spokesperson said.

"The mayor is cleaning up the toxic legacy of Boris Johnson, whose last three years included record levels of industrial action."

Read more: Brace yourselves: The RMT has announced another Tube strike is looming

They added:

Under the Tories’ failed approach Londoners would have seen huge disruption across the tube network in the second week of February.

The mayor will continue to put the interests of passengers first, working to reduce the numbers of strikes across the transport network.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • West Ham: Staveley receives Sadiq Khan encouragement to buy London Stadium

    Sport Business
    Low-angle view of a football stadium from the pitch, showing the corner marking and empty seats under a blue sky
  • Mayor gives green light for 4am Joshua vs Fury fight at Wembley

    Sport Business
    Business professionals in a meeting analyzing financial data on laptops, highlighting corporate strategy and decision-making.
  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • Sadiq Khan’s London plan is not nearly ambitious enough

    Opinion
    The Mayor of London, Sir Sadiq Khan, has this morning announced a £1.4m cash injection for community sport across the capital.
  • Trump suspends strikes amid new peace hopes

    Politics
    Donald Trump speaking at press conference podium, addressing media with serious expression, American flags in background
  • Why did Pinterest choose Oxford Street for its new HQ?

    Opinion
    Gregory Owens and Sadiq Khan, London Mayor, stand smiling in a gallery with various framed images.
  • As it happened: Stocks reach new record as investors shrug off Iran war fears

    Markets
    LSEG building entrance with company logo and reflections of a church tower and trees in the glass facade
  • Row erupts over Tory plan to stop Soho pub goers standing up 

    Hospitality
    Bustling Soho street scene with vibrant storefronts, diverse pedestrians, and iconic London architecture under clear skies
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook