Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,760.09
+0.09%
DAX
26,419.90
-0.08%
CAC 40
8,624.87
-0.14%
STOXX 50
6,552.46
+0.20%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 01 February 2019 3:03 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 03 June 2019 2:20 am

Ford confirms almost 400 job losses in first phase of redundancies at Bridgend plant

Car manufacturer Ford has confirmed around 370 members of staff will lose their jobs in a voluntary redundancy programme at its Bridgend engine plant.

It is affirmation of reports last month that Ford will begin cutting jobs at the plant as the company re-evaluates its European strategy.

Read more: SSE will sell stake in Scottish wind farms in £635m deal

Unions said they were told in January that 990 people would be made redundant by 2020, with Ford no longer requiring the same level of production in the UK.

The company said the voluntary redundancies would affect hourly and salaried employees as it tries to create a “sustainably profitable business” on the continent.

Employees were officially informed of the news on Friday and told that those who are selected for redundancy will leave later this year.

“The programme follows discussion with the union on matching the plant’s labour requirements to the projected production volume expectations in the near term,” a Ford spokesperson said.

“It is anticipated that the majority of employees who apply and are selected for voluntary separation under this programme will leave Ford employment in the third and fourth quarters of 2019.”

The American car giant confirmed plans of a major reshuffle in January that would affect operations across the UK and Europe.

Bridgend also make engines for Jaguar Land Rover but that contract expires at the end of the year, as does the deal to make the Ford Ecoboost engine.

Read more: Sale of airline Norwegian fell through because of Brexit, chairman says

The factory did win the investment of Ford's latest petrol engine, the Dragon, but that will only employ 500 of the current 1,700 workers on the site.

Under the current plans, just under 1,000 jobs will be lost at the plant by 2021 in two phases. It is part of 1,150 job cuts across the UK.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Exclusive: PwC set to cut audit jobs amid market slowdown

    Big Four
    PwC cuts roles and apprenticeship
  • Revealed: KPMG and Deloitte offer bumper redundancy packages to slash headcount

    Big Four
    Breaking news event showcasing a bustling city street scene with diverse pedestrians, modern buildings, and vibrant urban ...
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • In praise of Count Binface

    Opinion
    Count Binface wearing a silver mask and cape, standing in front of a podium during a press conference.
  • Is it ever ok to wear shorts to the office?

    Opinion
    Man in shorts and sunglasses walking through an office, holding a Free Palestine mug, while colleagues watch in disbelief.
  • The Debate: Is Count Binface funny?

    Opinion
    Count Binface in his distinctive silver bin helmet and black armored suit, giving two thumbs up.
  • Donkervoort P24 RS supercar coming to the UK in right-hand drive

    Life&Style
    Dark green Donkervoort sportscar with exposed front wheels and orange interior, parked on a winding road with mountains
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook