Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
0.00%
CAC 40
8,509.36
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 29 May 2019 8:47 am  |  Updated:  Monday 17 June 2019 10:20 pm

Huawei steps up lawsuit against US federal government

Huawei has today ramped up its lawsuit against the US which argues the ban on the government purchasing its equipment, which was signed by US President Donald Trump in August 2018, is unconstitutional.

Read more: China warns of trade repercussions after Huawei ban

The Chinese tech giant said it had filed for a motion of summary in the Texas court in which it is suing the government, which would see the court rule on the lawsuit without a full trial.

In March, Huawei announced it was going to the US courts to take on the ban, which prohibits departments of the national government from buying the Chinese firm’s technology on national security grounds.

It came into force as part of the National Defense Authorization Act 2019 (NDAA) and is a separate piece of legislation from Trump’s more recent and severe blacklisting of Huawei from doing business with US companies.

However, the company today also called on the US “to halt its state-sanctioned campaign against Huawei,” saying “it will not deliver cybersecurity”.

On the federal ban, Huawei’s chief legal officer, Song Liuping, said: “Politicians in the US are using the strength of an entire nation to come after a private company.” He added: “This is not normal. Almost never seen in history.”

“The US government has provided no evidence to show that Huawei is a security threat. There is no gun, no smoke. Only speculation,” he said.

Huawei has previously said that it does very relatively little business with the US, but has argued that the case had caused reputational damage.

Speaking on the more recent blacklisting of Huawei, Song said: “This sets a dangerous precedent. Today it's telecoms and Huawei. Tomorrow it could be your industry, your company, your consumers.”

Read more: Chip designer Arm to suspend business with Huawei

“Huawei has confidence in the independence and integrity of the US judicial system. We hope that mistakes in the NDAA can be corrected by the court,” Song added.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • International

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • New Premier League rules could see £11bn invested into new stadiums

More from Morning Wire

  • China’s mega London embassy to go ahead after High Court blocks challenge

    Politics
    Protesters hold signs saying STOP Chinese Secret Policing in the UK and Safeguard National Security
  • Law firm at centre of BHP mammoth lawsuit sued by its own funder

    Lawsuit
    UK class actions surge, lawyers perceived as primary beneficiaries, public awareness highest since 2020, report finds
  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
  • Apple sues Open AI accusing them of stealing ‘trade secrets’

    Tech
  • Triumph for Tesla as top court rules 5G licensing case should be heard in UK

    Lawsuit
    Tech billionaire Elon Musk has been asked to serve in Donald Trump’s cabinet. (Photo by Apu Gomes/Getty Images)
  • Prince Harry defeated in phone hacking legal battle against Daily Mail publisher

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

    Law
    Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.
  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

    Lawsuit
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook