Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.60
+0.02%
DAX
26,016.19
+0.13%
CAC 40
8,453.88
+0.01%
STOXX 50
6,433.15
+0.17%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 31 March 2023 12:21 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 29 April 2024 8:49 am

Advantage Putin? Wimbledon U-turns to let Russia and Belarus stars like Sabalenka and Medvedev compete

By: Morning Wire Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Centre court at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Wimbledon.
Centre court at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Wimbledon.

Russian and Belarusian players will be allowed to compete at Wimbledon this year, the All England Club has announced.

Athletes from the two countries must sign declarations of neutrality and must not express support for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, while players who receive funding from the Russian or Belarusian states, including sponsorship from state owned or controlled companies, will remain barred.

The same conditions will apply for the other British grass-court tournaments including Queen’s, reversing the decision made by the All England Club and Lawn Tennis Association 12 months ago.

By barring players from Russia and Belarus completely, the two governing bodies went against the rest of tennis and were heavily penalised, with Wimbledon stripped of ranking points, while the LTA was handed a seven-figure fine and threatened with losing its tournaments.

Last year, Grand Slam-winning star Andy Murray said he expected the ban to be lifted, and that he didn’t support it.

Ian Hewitt, chairman of the All England Club, said: “We continue to condemn totally Russia’s illegal invasion and our wholehearted support remains with the people of Ukraine.

“This was an incredibly difficult decision, not taken lightly or without a great deal of consideration for those who will be impacted. It is our view that, considering all factors, these are the most appropriate arrangements for the Championships for this year.

“We are thankful for the Government’s support as we and our fellow tennis stakeholder bodies have navigated this complex matter and agreed on conditions we believe are workable.

“If circumstances change materially between now and the commencement of the Championships, we will consider and respond accordingly.”

Wimbledon will face accusations of hypocrisy given the ongoing conflict, and organisers highlighted why they have come to a different decision 12 months on.

Read more

Russians are poised to compete at the LA 2028 Games as IOC lifts ban

Getty Images logo displayed on a computer screen in a dimly lit room, emphasizing its prominence in digital media.

Last year they ruled out forcing Russian and Belarusian athletes to sign declarations but now say “extensive engagement with the Government and tennis stakeholder bodies has clarified and developed the form of declarations”.

There has also now been a year of players from the two countries competing around the world under a neutral flag without any instances of overt support for the conflict.

There have been incidents – Novak Djokovic’s father was caught up, unwittingly he insisted, in a pro-Russia demonstration at the Australian Open, while locker room tensions came to the fore in Indian Wells a couple of weeks ago after Russian player Anastasia Potapova wore a Spartak Moscow shirt on court.

Ukrainian players, who welcomed Wimbledon’s stance last year, have spoken out about what they perceive as a lack of support from the tennis authorities.

The threat of further sanctions against the British game was undoubtedly a major factor in the U-turn, with an LTA statement saying: “The effect on British tennis of the LTA being expelled from the tours would be very damaging and far reaching for the game in our country.

“The impact would be felt by the millions of fans that follow the sport, the grass roots of the game, including coaches and venues which rely on the events for visibility and to bring new players into the game, and of course professional British players.

“Our position in support of the people of Ukraine remains unchanged in 2023 as does our concern around the Russian and Belarusian regimes deriving reputational and other benefits by seeking to associate themselves with players.

“There will also be a zero-tolerance approach to any flags, symbols or other actions which support Russia, Belarus or the war from anyone in our venues, including players and spectators.”

Wimbledon organisers have also updated their conditions of entry to specifically bar Russian and Belarusian flags and symbols.

The prospect of a Russian or Belarusian winner of one of the singles titles at Wimbledon is fairly high, with Australian Open champion Aryna Sabalenka a strong performer on grass, while Daniil Medvedev has won more matches than any other player on the men’s tour so far this season.

Read more

All England Club slap down wealthy Indian Jindal over Wimbledon empty seat post

Business professionals discussing strategy in a modern office setting with charts and laptops on a conference table.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Sport
  • Politics

Related Topics

  • russia
  • Tennis
  • Vladimir Putin
  • Wimbledon

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Russians are poised to compete at the LA 2028 Games as IOC lifts ban

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed on a computer screen in a dimly lit room, emphasizing its prominence in digital media.
  • All England Club slap down wealthy Indian Jindal over Wimbledon empty seat post

    Sport Business
    Business professionals discussing strategy in a modern office setting with charts and laptops on a conference table.
  • Exclusive: Wimbledon chiefs ready to defend brand amid Saudi tennis complex similarities

    Sport Business
    A person cleaning the Wimbledon Championships logo, featuring crossed tennis rackets and a ball.
  • Wimbledon won’t slap sponsor on new show court but eye US growth

    Sport Business
    Wimbledon tennis court with players in action, surrounded by a cheering crowd under clear blue skies
  • Wimbledon: HMRC set to slap Sinner and Noskova with £1.6m tax bill

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo on a sleek black background, symbolizing reliable sources for high-quality stock photography and media c...
  • Why Raducanu may have harmed Fery’s post-Wimbledon commercial earnings

    Sport Business
    Breaking news event with large crowd gathered at outdoor venue, people holding banners, and speaker addressing audience
  • Gary Lineker forks out £10k to save England World Cup dream

    Sport Business
    Gary Lineker smiling in a dark suit, white shirt, and navy tie, wearing black-framed glasses.
  • Why brands can fail miserably at sponsoring Wimbledon

    Sport Business
    News article image showing a dynamic business meeting with diverse professionals discussing strategy in a modern office se...
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook